Thread: Valdez Independence

Default Valdez Independence

Hey guys,

Heading over to Valdez for the first time ever and was looking for a few good old fashion forum help with the area. I have an 18 high nose sea skiff that has seen some good water. I am not getting cocky with her but she has made me proud. I know pinks will be starting to filter in at that point in time and was wondering what rigs/depth you fish for them. (I here pixies are better than flasher, hooch, and hearing. any info would be great. I am also bring the shrimp gear, at least one set of three. does anyone have a picker hole close to the harbor for me to pull for dinner. I would like to through a few pink remains in there with pellets and see if i get a few for the family. PMs are greatly appreciated. if not i am sure i will pick around til i find something.

Joe.

I have personally had a hard time finding good shrimping in Valdez within 15 miles of the harbor. If the pinks are in - go over to Alison and you will know. Watch where you go though - there's a boundary that you are not suppose to cross - by the big oil tanks.

Thanks do you know where to find this boundary? or do i just ask the harbor master when i get there. thanks for the info, I will definitely be trolling for pinks while i am there.

There is alot of info about the boundaries available right at the boat launch. You can also clearly see the very large orange buoys out there. Keep a good distance away, they patrol that terminal heavily during holiday weekends. At one time I considered my shrimping in valdez a success. We always set shallower (300') . Pulled approx 30 shrimp per pot on 4 hour soaks. That was about 3-4 years ago. Shrimping has drastically declined around there in my opinion.
    We would do alright right around Mineral Creek right outside of the harbor and it was so close I run out at night and check it once before bed time. If not there run across the bay to Anderson bay and set in similar depth out by the rock walls near that area.
    Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

I will give it a try. I was looking on here about pinks and the question i have is...Do you troll for them like silvers? or just snag them? is it better to use hearing/hoochie or pixies/vibrexes? Not looking for any spots either but what is the halibut and rock fishing like? thanks again.

joe

If you really want to go for shrimp, then I say take the boat. If you primarily want to fish for pinks then I suggest leaving the boat(and gas bill) behind. You will catch all the pinks that law allows very easily at Allison Point....provided they are in.
    My wife and I snag them. It's nice to get our limit of 12(6each/day) in a short amount of time. It tends to rain alot in Valdez, so the shorter amount of time spent in all your rain/fishing gear the more time can be spent cruising the town, glacier viewing, waterfalls, range, etc. Heck, we've been known to fish for pinks in the morning, then head up the road to fish for Reds on the Klutina in the afternoons.

FYI - It is legal to snag salmon in salt water within Prince William sound(aka Allison Point). I know, I know.......you will have lots of people saying "Well geez, that's not very sporty". Hey, it's legal and it's just plain quicker. We get plenty of "sport" fishing(flipping/non-snag) at the Klutina and the Kenai. To each his own. =)
    Just get you a nice med/med-heavy action 10' rod+ (I like Ugly Sticks myself), some 20-25lb test line(a little heavy for pinks but I use the same setup for Silvers in august), and a nice weighted treble hook.....and have a blast fishing from shore. Save money on gas, bait, lures, etc.
    Just my two cents. =)

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm also heading there for the 4th and am debating on if I should bring my 18' Weldcraft just for shrimping. Judging from the responses I'm assuming that you may need to go pretty far out for some Halibut. Might be best to wait until August to bring the boat... silvers.

We are going to take our time driving down there. Anyone have some good ideas for stuff to do along the way? Trout or Grayling fishing, hiking, swiming, shooting pull offs?

Thanks in advance for the help.