Thread: **Help** First Shriming in 2 Years, LOST MY GEAR! KEEP AN EYE OUT PLEASE

Exclamation **Help** First Shriming in 2 Years, LOST MY GEAR! KEEP AN EYE OUT PLEASE

Well my misfortune on shrimping this season is deep thus far. With the awesome weather we had foretasted I decided to get the family out on the sound over fathers day weekend. I pulled out all my shrimping gear that I have not used in two years. Got it all prepped and ready for service.
    I had 3 of Steves collapsible pots on a string of rope. Those pots were my prize!
    I had 50' shot of line between each pot. A string of 600'+ rope to my buoy's. I set on a 400' shelf.
    One pot maybe 2 were weighted down.
    I am not sure what happened. I set them in the early morning and returned the evening to not see them anywhere. My buoys are pretty unique. This is what I am banking on here.
    Maybe just maybe one of you guys might spot them while running around out there.
    I have 2 buoy's. One large (A6?) buoy and a A4. The large one is very large and painted florescent green with all my info on it. My name, phone number, and Reg # AA9880AK. Both buoy's are marked. The other one is the bright yellow/ green color that steve sells from time to time.
    I originally set them around Pigot Pt. I am more than confident they are not near there anymore. Hopefully I messed up and they drifted off that shelf and are floating around somewhere. That or on a beach in the sound somewhere. I searched for 3 hours around but with no luck. I am offering a good reward to anyone who can return my gear.
    If my gear does not return luckily some how I think I am gonna be forced to hang up my shrimping gear. It is just to expensive to reinvest into it.
    If any of you gentlemen could please keep an eye out for my gear I would appreciate it and willing to pay ya to bring my gear home.
    Thanks boys!

I'll be cruising through that area toward points farther south Friday morning.
    I will be glad to keep an eye peeled for your buoys.
    Feel free to PM me more specifices on your markings to keep me out of trouble.
    I have written down the reg # and will verify with binos [should we see buoys as you've described here] prior to approaching anyones sets.
    Good Luck

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Big, big tide swings last weekend! It's quite possible that they got pulled into deeper water. I would recommend reporting the lost gear to ADFG/AST.

I will do the same. I will be out in PWS Fri, Sat, Sun, Tues, Wed, THurs, Fri, Sat, Sun. I won't have room to actually carry them in with me, but I will grab them and drop them in some shallower water (maybe even where they will pick up some bugs) if I see them. So this is one string with 2 large bouys?? I will be camping in Cochrane and running out to montegue to camp for a few days and then back to Cochrane and plan on fishing up the college area.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Big, big tide swings last weekend! It's quite possible that they got pulled into deeper water. I would recommend reporting the lost gear to ADFG/AST.

+1, don't want to get fined for your gear fishing after the season ends. Called and report it as lost or stolen and record the name of the person you speak with.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank You Boys!
    id appreciate you all keeping an eye out for my floating gear.
    My unique pots are my only hope for it ever returning home I believe.
    The huge green painted Buoy and the similar yellow/ green also. My wife was also kind enough to do a bunch of writing on it also. Things like " I'm Watching You" & " Please don't steal our gear".
    kinda ironic honestly.
    haha.

My name Nigel Wherley
    boat # AA9880 AK
    841-0033 is the phone number.

Thanks Again.

Thats a bummer Nigel, I am up at work so I wont be out for awhile, I am guessing someone will come across them unless the hooligans got em. Did you do any fishing?

Kyle,
    We had a great trip. Good weather and a few fish. No halibut. I am still trying to get the boat figured out and had chart plotter issues again. So I had to run off my paper maps. That limited my trip substantially. So other than loosing my prized shrimp pots and gear I had a great time. Talked to Kelly the other day, and sounds like you two have had some fun on the sound. Hope to meet up with ya guys one of these days out there.
    Im stuck up here for another 10 days myself. So I am helpless on the rescue of my gear!

Drove through that area Friday and Sunday but didn't see any green buoys.

I was out there Thursday and saw two separate bright green buoys in the middle of the bay near the mouth. If I had read your post earlier I would have looked at the buoys for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Drove through that area Friday and Sunday but didn't see any green buoys.
    I appreciate you and everyone else keeping an eye out for them floating somewhere by now. Please keep it up and tell your friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    I was out there Thursday and saw two separate bright green buoys in the middle of the bay near the mouth. If I had read your post earlier I would have looked at the buoys for you.
    Hhhmmm, well if it is where I think you are talking about that is some deep water and them pots are not on bottom anymore. That is if this is my set up. One large A5 buoy painted bright green and a A2 yellow / green one not painted. Alot writing on it!
    Sure hope someone might be heading down there soon and reads this post.
    "Kay9Cop", can you post more specific info on where you seen those buoy's at?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    I appreciate you and everyone else keeping an eye out for them floating somewhere by now. Please keep it up and tell your friends!

Hhhmmm, well if it is where I think you are talking about that is some deep water and them pots are not on bottom anymore. That is if this is my set up. One large A5 buoy painted bright green and a A2 yellow / green one not painted. Alot writing on it!
    Sure hope someone might be heading down there soon and reads this post.
    "Kay9Cop", can you post more specific info on where you seen those buoy's at?
    Thanks
    They might be wrapped on a pinnacle.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

They were in the middle of the mouth of the bay, not where people normally shrimp. I thought they were in some pretty deep water, so that's why I took notice of them. One of the buoys was larger than the other, but I didn't get any where close enough to notice writing...I try to stay far away from other people's gear.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Please you weekend warriors, keep an eye out for my two green floating pots. I'd love get them back. REWARD for the recovery of my gear!

Thanks

didn't see them - and we put on some miles. Back out tomorrow to head up into college - will keep an eye open.