Thread: KUIU Yukon vs. Chugach rain gear

Default KUIU Yukon vs. Chugach rain gear

Anyone get their hands on the new KUIU Yukon rain gear yet and have thoughts/comments on it as well as how it stacks up vs. the Chugach?

The Chugach rain gear is ok but I think eVent still breathes better. I was super excited about the Yukon jacket but when I saw the weight I was very disappointed. It is darn near twice the weight of the Chugach. Seams like a lot of material to be that breathable. I hope some one can give us a review although with that weight I will not be picking it up.

I have both the Chugach and Yukon rain gear. Without a doubt the Yukon is the better stuff. Yes it ways more, but from what I can tell so far, it is way more durable, quite, and just plain feels better. It doesn't feel like something that's gonna fall apart on you when you walk through the brush or sit on the rocks. Its just as waterproof for sure. I never had my Chugach stuff seep through or tear, and I had gone brush busting with it as well. I guess its a matter of what you prefer....Durability, or light weight....

I picked up the Yukon gloves and they seem pretty slick. No idea if they are going to be truly waterproof but I am hoping to use them as a shell over my guide gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    Anyone get their hands on the new KUIU Yukon rain gear yet and have thoughts/comments on it as well as how it stacks up vs. the Chugach?
    Get the Arcteryx Alpha SV and be done with it.....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Hard to argue against Arcteryx, great stuff, but expensive. I am looking at trying out the Chugach gear I just got for my birthday and seeing if it lives up to the hype.

i agree kaha.. arcteryx stuff is hard to beat. i use the alpha LT for weight purposes but any of their alpha series jackets are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post

Whew! I have a hard time with the $350 let alone $625!

The chugach gear is really nice stuff, it is light weight and durable. I have taken it hunting and hiking and it has surprised me how durable it is. The new Yukon gear is of a thicker newer type of material that breathes well and has some amazing stretch to it. There are more pockets and cuffs around your wrist areas. I have a set of the Chugiak gear if anyone wants to buy it

I have the Chugach set and think it's superb. The protection-to-weight ratio is unbeatable in hunting rain wear. Weight does matter, and if I'm packing it around I'll be packing light. The Yukon series looks to be bomb-proof, but much weightier. I think a lot of guys will buy it and never realize the full intended potential of it, though obviously some will like knowing they have a Cadillac (Land Rover?) on their backs. I'm not especially rough on my gear, so the 'tough' factor means little to me. I also don't spend all day hunting in the rain (bowhunter here) so don't need that extra level of defense afforded by heavier fabric layers and features. I think the Yukon will be fantastic, but I'm equally sure I won't be buying the main set. I did order the gloves and gaiters, so I'm familiar with the fabric. Good stuff and made for the hard hunter.

I have two pair of Chugach pants. I bought one pair in Vias for hunting and a frost grey pair for wearing any other time. I wore my camo pair exactly once before they wore holes through the cuffs from my boots scuffing against them and the material rubbing against itself. Wore my grey pair one afternoon while walking through some brush and they showed lots of wear from the brush rubbing across the legs. I wouldn't recommend the Chugach pants to anyone that actually wants to hunt in them. I'm surprised to hear anyone say they are durable because I found them to be pretty fragile. For $250 I expect my pants to last more than one hike.

I got no Love for the Chugach either. I tore that stuff up.
    Seeing additional steps to ensure durability is excellent. I'm sure many people will take it to its full potential here in Alaska.

My thoughts are that if the Yukon line is as breathable and durable as it claims, I would wear it primarily and just eliminate the softshell. Layer up underneath as normal.

KUIU Guide jacket 24ozs $229
    KUIU Chugach jacket 17.3ozs $299
    Totals 41.3ozs $528

VS. KUIU Yukon 29.2ozs $350

This actually ends up saving 12.1ozs and $178

I think I'll give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    My thoughts are that if the Yukon line is as breathable and durable as it claims, I would wear it primarily and just eliminate the softshell. Layer up underneath as normal.

KUIU Guide jacket 24ozs $229
    KUIU Chugach jacket 17.3ozs $299
    Totals 41.3ozs $528

VS. KUIU Yukon 29.2ozs $350

This actually ends up saving 12.1ozs and $178

I think I'll give it a whirl.
    A lot of guys on the Kuiu forum are reporting in and suggesting exactly what you are. Yukon jacket=Guide jacket+Chugach jacket. I am gonna stick with the layers though. Just the look of the Yukon jacket makes me sweat. I am constantly impressed by my Kuiu gear. This past week, I fished twice in pouring rain for hours in just my DCS Guide jacket(treated but not touted as waterproof). Never even got a wet spot on my tshirt. Love the stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    I'm surprised to hear anyone say they are durable because I found them to be pretty fragile.
    People gotta realize that everybody's different when it comes to what they put their gear through. Some are balls out and get-er-done....alders, brush, sticks, rocks, pretty much all the time. While others wouldn't be caught dead hunting off of anything other than ATVs or fairly good trails. Each person's perception of "durable" is gonna be different. As a guide I've ran into what I would consider some pretty "fair weather hunters" compared to others that didn't care what they had to do, or go, or be out in, when it came to getting an animal.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I finally bought the Chugach gear last year and was extremely happy with it compared to what I've worn in the past. Can't comment on durability as I didn't tear mine up. Used it in the Brooks and didn't have to fight alders like I might have in the Chugach and also on Kodiak but hardly put it on for either hunt. I'd say that for me I don't wear my rain gear all that much mostly when it's pouring or walking through really wet grass other than that it stays in my pack. I guess what I liked about it is that because it breaths I was still dry underneath something that I haven't gotten with my Impertech. I will say that if the Arcteryx and the Yukon are better then they must really be something...... All that said though if all I had was my Grundens Herkules I'd still go as that's what I packed around for the first years. If not having the "best" raingear is keeping you out of the field you probably don't really want to go and golf may be a more suitable past time.

I have a feeling that the second generation of Chugach has seen some changes and upgrades over the initial offerings...but not totally certain of this. My new Verde Chugach has reinforce inner pant cuffs, redesigned full length leg zips, and some other things the first gen didn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    I have a feeling that the second generation of Chugach has seen some changes and upgrades over the initial offerings...but not totally certain of this. My new Verde Chugach has reinforce inner pant cuffs, redesigned full length leg zips, and some other things the first gen didn't have.
    Hmm not sure...I had a 1st gen pair that got some holes in, sent it in and Kuiu replaced it with 2nd gen. Looked exactly the same to me.

How noisy would the Yukon jacket be if worn as a primary jacket? Lots of swish, swish noise?