Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southcentral rifle help

Default Southcentral rifle help

Howdy all,
    I did almost all of my hunting up north, mostly caribou on the tundra. All of my rifles and shotguns remained up north, and now I'm looking for a single rifle for hunting here in Southcentral Alaska. Thinking of PWS deer and caribou. Not looking for bear hunting, or sheep (yet). I used my grandfather's old Remington 700 .243 and loved that rifle, so I'm thinking about that same caliber, but open to others.

I'd appreciate some advice on a single rifle to start the collection again. Is a shorter barrel helpful in the brush? Maybe a lever action 30-30?

Thanks!

Hard to beat a plain 30-06 and be able to do it all.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have to agree with Amigo Will

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    I have to agree with Amigo Will
    I do too, but if you're really fond of lever action pieces, please go to a .32 WCF and pass up on the .30-30. You'll be much happier with the rusults, in my opinion . . . . .

06' all the way and never look back......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'd go .270 based on your affinity for deer and caribou...

There are a lot of candidates for a "one rifle for S.Central".

For a one gun deal I'm likely to lean a little heavier rather than lighter... a .30-06 or .300WSM would be my choice although a .270, .308, 7mm and such would be fine for the species you mention. A .300 or '06 isn't out of place taking moose, sheep or bears in addition to killing deer and caribou with authority.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Howdy all,
    I did almost all of my hunting up north, mostly caribou on the tundra. All of my rifles and shotguns remained up north, and now I'm looking for a single rifle for hunting here in Southcentral Alaska. Thinking of PWS deer and caribou. Not looking for bear hunting, or sheep (yet). I used my grandfather's old Remington 700 .243 and loved that rifle, so I'm thinking about that same caliber, but open to others.

I'd appreciate some advice on a single rifle to start the collection again. Is a shorter barrel helpful in the brush? Maybe a lever action 30-30?

Thanks!
    not my caliber choice....but if it floats your boat...there is a little remington mohawk for sale in alaska's list. it's a little 18.5" barreled carbine in 243 win. 600 is a fair price since it comes with a leupold 2-7 power and open sights:
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...k_600_243.html

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    not my caliber choice....but if it floats your boat...there is a little remington mohawk for sale in alaska's list. it's a little 18.5" barreled carbine in 243 win. 600 is a fair price since it comes with a leupold 2-7 power and open sights:
    http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/9_Gen...k_600_243.html
    Now re-barrel it to .358 Win and it will be a perfect rifle! Right, Mainer?

For a single rifle, I'd rather have something with a bit more punch than a .243 Win. My first big-game rifle was a 6mm Rem in a Model 7; and about 10 years ago, I had it rebarreled to .260 and that is sort of my minimum for white-tails in Texas. The caliber that I've hauled up the most is a .308 Win, but I'm waiting with baited breath for my 30-06 Model 70 Featherweight to get back from Hill Country Rifles. That is going to be my all-round rifle for everywhere Alaska. My heavy, for when I ever get a chance at a big bear, is a .375 H&H, Model 70 SS. If you want something short, and all-around, get a .308 Win, .338 Federal, or one of the Ruger compact magnums in something stainless and have the barrel shortened if needed. I wouldn't go shorter than 20 inches though. If you like the lever action, try the .338 Hornady in a stainless Marlin. Although you say deer and caribou, what about when you bump into something much bigger and meaner?

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Or, .338 Federal; either is better than the .243.

My choice based on the ops parameters would be a Ruger compact laminate in .308 with a 1.5-5 or 2-8 leupold. Don't recall if they make it in .270 but they may be a better choice, and easier to get ammo for?

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    nope.....just get the original gun re-bored by jesse for $175.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Howdy all,

Thanks!
    What as it you liked the most about your grandfathers gun? Was it the caliber, action, ballance, ect? Your mention of a lever action has me leaning toward a Browning BLR in a 7mm/08. Light recoiling, fast pointing, and a shorter barrel than most standard bolt action rifles. I have one chambered in .308 and love it. I only recomend the 7mm/08 because it is closer to the .243 caliber that you mentioned in your OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Hard to beat a 30/06 for just about everything
    Last edited by bbearhntr; 06-26-2013 at 19:32. Reason: spelling

browning blr is a horrible rifle. innacurate, not a bolt action, and HEAVY......plus ugly.

Default BLR

BLR and (very) cold weather don't mix either. And a BLR that jams (repeatedly) is way worse than a single shot because you not only have to manually load every round, but also manage to remove the last round. Don't ask me how I know what a pain in the tush that is when you're trying to kill something and your expensive shiny BLR does that to you...

In addition to it happening to me, I have a really funny (I think, at least) secondhand story concerning the only guide I've ever had on a hunt - ever - and he told me about a hunter that had guided on the same hunt - and that hunter worked at Browning and had actually designed today's BLR. The guide told him it was an inappropriate rifle for the hunt and conditions but the hunter persisted. And yes, you guessed it; at the moment of truth the only bang was a "click".

On the bright side, resale value of the BLR is still good last I saw; that Browning name is well received in the used market.

FM, you sure you're not confusing a BAR? browning automatic rifle?

BLR......Browning Lever Rifle?

I was totally being facetious about a BLR......was hoping to get a reaction out of someone. I actually miss my old BLR in 358.

Default BAR, not BLR, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    FM, you sure you're not confusing a BAR?
    I did confuse them yes; sorry.

Nothing wrong with the lever action that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    God bless the 30-06, this caliber is very dear to me...has't been around for over a century for nothing.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I think the .270 would be ideal for what you are suggesting. It can be loaded lite for deer and smaller game, or heavy for black bear. Get a good bolt action, like a weatherby or Sako, they're very accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast