Thread: Suggestions? 2 days to do nothing but fish North of Anchorage

Default Suggestions? 2 days to do nothing but fish North of Anchorage

Hi all,

I've done a bit of research with various books I have, but given I don't get to fish there but once a year I thought I might pick the local's brains. I'll be in town for an annual trip the last week of July and the first two days me and another friend will be fishing alone until my friend from anchorage joins us. We will be situated out of Eagle River and would like to spend every waking minute fishing north of Anchorage (an area we have visited less). What suggestions would you have for a trout or varden within 2 to 2 1/2 hours of Anchorage. I know the main ones, Montana, Willow, etc. but was hoping for some less standard advice that might require a small hike. Thoughts? Will be strictly fly fishing.

We'll be fishing salmon on some other days, but might take a jaunt to Jim Creek or another stream for a little coho action, but would like to fish Trout or Dollies the most.

Thanks for all your help - love this forum so much I read it more than the one in my home state

Hit Upper Montana Creek, or hike the Little Willow downstream from the Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman View Post
    Hit Upper Montana Creek, or hike the Little Willow downstream from the Highway.
    So I know there is a trail on Montana that goes about 4.5 miles up to the falls - anyone venture further than that or is it possible?

Thanks for the suggestion on the little willow!

Be sure to let us know if you find any trout above the Montana Creek Falls. I'm pretty sure salmon can't go past, but never heard a report on trout.
    Timing is (may be - ?) great for a 10mm bead. Kings (if there are any) should be in spawning mode at that time, in any of the Valley streams.
    As long as you're not fishing on the weekend, I'd just hit the stream & fish & not worry about a hike - pressure during the week is a small fraction of what it is on the weekends and water that you couldn't buy a hit on Saturday afternoon could yield plenty of fish on a weekday.

If you're in Eagle River and really interested in hiking to the fish, then I'd recommend Symphony Lake in the South Fork of Eagle River valley. It's packed full of grayling and about 6 miles from the trailhead. My wife and I hiked it last summer with a 2yr old in about 2.5 hours, so a couple of fit guys could probaby do it a bit faster than that. Be sure to bring plenty of caddis and some yellow stimulators in case the moths are flying. Side note: I've seen Dall sheep each time I've hiked it, so if you're into nature viewing be sure to bring the binocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass417 View Post
    If you're in Eagle River and really interested in hiking to the fish, then I'd recommend Symphony Lake in the South Fork of Eagle River valley. It's packed full of grayling and about 6 miles from the trailhead. My wife and I hiked it last summer with a 2yr old in about 2.5 hours, so a couple of fit guys could probaby do it a bit faster than that. Be sure to bring plenty of caddis and some yellow stimulators in case the moths are flying. Side note: I've seen Dall sheep each time I've hiked it, so if you're into nature viewing be sure to bring the binocs.
    Nice, I've considered hiking that lake a few times - last year we almost did it as well. Is the creek that comes out of symphony fishable / worth fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by benjicunney View Post
    Nice, I've considered hiking that lake a few times - last year we almost did it as well. Is the creek that comes out of symphony fishable / worth fishing?
    Not so much, the creek that you see coming down the valley is the South Fork of Eagle River and flows out of Eagle Lake, which is the siltier and more accessible of the two lakes (don't have to hike over a boulder field to get to it). Eagle Lake has some tiny lake trout in it, as does the slightly clearer little pond below it, but they're not that terribly exciting. The real draw is Symphony Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by benjicunney View Post
    So I know there is a trail on Montana that goes about 4.5 miles up to the falls - anyone venture further than that or is it possible?

Thanks for the suggestion on the little willow!
    That trail is the middle fork of Montana Creek. Try the left fork, walk up from Yoder Road. It's been a few years since I was up there doing rainbow studies but the fishing was good to excellent at times. Bring something to deter the bears and I don't mean bear bells, can't tell you how many I found in scat. Things may of changed up there since the big flood but it is worth the try. Good luck.