Thread: Man, we're getting a bad name...

Default Man, we're getting a bad name...

Just ran across this on AK Dispatch: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ing-after-them

While the article is fairly poorly written, he brings up some good points, though I don't recall the poo issue last year and haven't been there yet this year. However, I packed out a lot of other people's trash last year. We all love fishing Chitina, so why is it that some folks take such little care in doing their part to help keep it nice and, more importantly, a productive fishery by not just leaving trash and fecal matter lying around where it will enter into the food web - yummy - fish tainted with the decomposition by-products of plastic and human waste. Good stuff there!

Clean up after yourselves and maybe even pick up a bit of trash that some one else left behind. Let's show Kenai and Mr. Medred that at Chitina we don't need government picking up after us.

This is such a beautiful special place too bad there are a lot of people who just don't care. I try and take care of my trash and some of others trash. Last year when I was picking up trash I found 2 full beers. My reward

I don't use the trails much, but I haven't run across too much piggish behavior there. Apparently Mr. Medred has a lack of observational skills, as he somehow missed the multiple other porta-potties along the O'Brien Creek Rd. or right at the corner in town where there are nice public toilets.

Medred has made a career criticizing people while doing the same things they are; I stopped paying much attention to him when he got mauled by a bear shortly after writing a piece criticizing all the things someone else did wrong which caused them to get mauled by a bear.....

That being said, I agree EVERYONE should pick up after themselves no matter where you are.

One thing he said is true. It gets really bad by the bridge both where people park and fish.kind of sad

Kasillof used to be just horrible. Piles of stinking garbage which no one would take the time to pack out. Then there was an outcry and the authorities put in more dumpsters and porta potties, and things have improved. I never fish the Kenai main beaches, so I can't say if they have improved, but I think local folks have had quite enough, and thus the recent laws.
    The problems come from a basic lack of respect for the environment. Along with not teaching basic moral values these days, many parents do not teach their children any kind of stewardship for the space around them. My belief is that the state must mandate some sort of outdoor appreciation class in order to graduate. I am always amazed by people who just drop and leave their trash without (it seems) so much as a second thought. Little kids to older people. Teach them to respect and love the land and you might reduce the problem. Their parents might even learn a thing or two from junior.
    I was to taught to pick up everything and not leave behind anything. My dad was a forest ranger (yeah, they were men back then!) and he had a noble outlook about the woods and beaches. Today, I teach outdoor ed classes, and we will take a day to go pick up a shoreline or gravel pit so the students can experience how frustrating it is to have to pick up someone else's trash

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Kasillof used to be just horrible. Piles of stinking garbage which no one would take the time to pack out. Then there was an outcry and the authorities put in more dumpsters and porta potties, and things have improved. I never fish the Kenai main beaches, so I can't say if they have improved, but I think local folks have had quite enough, and thus the recent laws.
    The problems come from a basic lack of respect for the environment. Along with not teaching basic moral values these days, many parents do not teach their children any kind of stewardship for the space around them. My belief is that the state must mandate some sort of outdoor appreciation class in order to graduate. I am always amazed by people who just drop and leave their trash without (it seems) so much as a second thought. Little kids to older people. Teach them to respect and love the land and you might reduce the problem. Their parents might even learn a thing or two from junior.
    I was to taught to pick up everything and not leave behind anything. My dad was a forest ranger (yeah, they were men back then!) and he had a noble outlook about the woods and beaches. Today, I teach outdoor ed classes, and we will take a day to go pick up a shoreline or gravel pit so the students can experience how frustrating it is to have to pick up someone else's trash
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. We need more folks like you saying things like this. As a retired teacher, I love your idea of an outdoor appreciation class, I have advocated for safety education, and teaching some basic survival skills for years and tried to work them into some of my classes. I never thought of teaching about picking up after yourself in the outdoors, it was just second nature to me in most instances, but you are right about it not being taught at home far too often these days. I would add that I feel firearms safety should also be taught in the schools. If someone closes to never pick up a gun in their life after that, that's their choice, BUT AT LEAST THEY KNOW HOW TO SAFELY HANDLE ONE. Guns are tools, not toys, as well as nothing to be merely bluffed with, or bragged about, or waver around. As to the mess left a few years ago, I well remember that and it was disgusting. Fortunately either the added dumpsters and portapottys have helped, or people have started to pay more attention.