Thread: Switch Rod Question

Default Switch Rod Question

I've read a lot of good things about switch rods. Most people say that switch rods are good for smaller streams and rivers, but how small is small? I know that rivers like the Kenai, Kasilof, and Anchor are ideal for two-handed casts, but what about Deep, Willow, and Montana Creeks? Are these creeks too small to cast downstream and swing a fly?

Switch rods as in the only difference between them and Spey is about 16 inches on average. To be honest I fish a switch rod on the Gulkana which is by no means a small stream or creek however it is also not a large stream and or creek. Yep it allows me to cast entirely across in the sections I can't wade however that being said there is no way you could use it lets say on the upper willow which in fact is a small stream nor MT creek. Sure you could find a few spots but over all you would be working your tail off "Sorry for the pun" in order to try and use it in most spaces.

Regards

RMM

I have an 11' switch rod and use it everywhere. I have 2 spools that allow me to use a skagit head for swinging flys and rio switch line for dead drifting.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Browell, every river you named I've fished with a switch rod. My switch rod is my go to when on foot. I've fished it out of my drift boat as well, just isn't my preferred rod.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I use a 11' switch rod on every river. I fish everything from Anchor, Deep, Kenai, Kasilof, to all the Parks Hwy streams. It is my go to rod.

Thanks for the replies. What do your rigs for the fishing the parks consist of? Rod brand, model, and weight, and line?

7wt 11' Sage ZAxis with Lamson ARX 3. I use the 7wt Rio Switch line to dead drift and a 375 Skagit Compact to swing. Pretty Sweet Rig!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Let me correct my post by saying I use a 375gr Rio Skagit Short to Swing with.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

7 wt 11' st croix imperial with rio switch line to dead drift and airflow 525 grain short skagit (tactical) to swing. Lamson velocity 3.5 reel.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

11 years Spey, and five years Switch Rods = the pleasure of my live
    This land is your land, this land is my land

11' Z Axis Sage 7 weight, with a Lamson Guru reel.

You should go see Mike at Mossy's, you will not find anyone that has more knowledge about the 2 hand game. Plus he has a nice little Echo switch on sale right now! I just picked up a st. Croix 7110 and I am very happy with it! Don't feel like you need to mortgage your house to get started.

I have to agree with Franken Fish, I use my 6wt CPX with a 400gr Rio skagit short just about everywhere. For the sake of nostalgia I busted out the first fly rod I ever bought (a 5wt single hander) and hooked into 7 rainbows on the upper Willow last Wednesday, 2 were 20"+ and I couldn't help but think how much I wished I had my 2-hander.