Thread: Where to run small O/B near Anchorage

Default Where to run small O/B near Anchorage

It has just come to my attention that it's illegal to operate a small boat with an outboard on any lake within the city limits of Anchorage. (A 300 HP float plane is perfectly legal, but a 4 HP Evinrude is not-go figure.)

I'm looking for a lake, close to Anchorage, where it is legal to run a 2 stroke outboard (4HP) on a small boat (Grumman). I will shortly be needing to to some maintenance runs but I have no place to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    It has just come to my attention that it's illegal to operate a small boat with an outboard on any lake within the city limits of Anchorage. (A 300 HP float plane is perfectly legal, but a 4 HP Evinrude is not-go figure.)

I'm looking for a lake, close to Anchorage, where it is legal to run a 2 stroke outboard (4HP) on a small boat (Grumman). I will shortly be needing to to some maintenance runs but I have no place to do it.
    You might consider the mouth of Ship Creek close to dead high or low tide. That could give you several hours of relatively calm ops.
    Another would be TwentyMile River down towards Portage and focus on high tides for that one. I take my Portabote w 6hp up there several times per year. Very pretty country if you haven't yet visited the area. I've seen several mud shaft boats on Firelake just out of Eagle River off the Old Glenn Hiway. They may have been fudging the rules, though so check your regs. Its not a terrible drive to buzz out to the valley so that would open up Cottonwood, Finger, wasilla and biglakes for your rig. Good luck!

The port of Anchorage is not usable the hour before to the hour after low tides (or more).

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    The port of Anchorage is not usable the hour before to the hour after low tides (or more).
    Anchorage Fire Dept figures they have a 4 hour window (2 before, 2 after) at high tide to launch their rescue vessel.. a small boat such as FL2AK is using you could probably fudge that. Of course there are always the valley lakes.

Lower fire lake in Eagle River, just off the glenn, allows o/b up to 50hp. There is also a lake in Anchorage that allows up to 50hp but I forget what lake it it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Lower fire lake in Eagle River, just off the glenn, allows o/b up to 50hp. There is also a lake in Anchorage that allows up to 50hp but I forget what lake it it.
    If I'm not mistaken it is Jewel Lake. Not any public launches, but there is good access for a canoe and a parking lot on the south side off of Dimond.

[QUOTE= (A 300 HP float plane is perfectly legal, but a 4 HP Evinrude is not-go figure.)

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that was because of me?

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken it is Jewel Lake. Not any public launches, but there is good access for a canoe and a parking lot on the south side off of Dimond.
    Sand lake. 4pm-8pm only.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town
    Sand lake. 4pm-8pm only.
    12:00-20:00 on weekends/holidays
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/...ctions2009.pdf

Sand Lake...there's no public access other than 80th off Sand Lake rd. where you have to wrangle your craft over traffic barriers then immediately down a steep slick muddy slope to a muck shoreline. Channel is shallow and full of weeds...good luck with all that. Fire lake is better due to lack of obstacle course and easy to manhandle a light craft if you can drag it. I use my cataraft there often and have seen people back down, spin out and screw the whole thing up...there is no actual ramp. Good point made by Daved about low tide @ Ship Creek...my bad for suggesting it other than a shallow draft little boat would probably be fine. Unless you are adverse to saltwater and flushing your motor, high tide there is a winner.

Meh. I'm starting to think just go to Big Lake. Paved ramp and fresh water.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Sand Lake...there's no public access other than 80th off Sand Lake rd. where you have to wrangle your craft over traffic barriers then immediately down a steep slick muddy slope to a muck shoreline. Channel is shallow and full of weeds...good luck with all that. Fire lake is better due to lack of obstacle course and easy to manhandle a light craft if you can drag it. I use my cataraft there often and have seen people back down, spin out and screw the whole thing up...there is no actual ramp. Good point made by Daved about low tide @ Ship Creek...my bad for suggesting it other than a shallow draft little boat would probably be fine. Unless you are adverse to saltwater and flushing your motor, high tide there is a winner.

Just head to Fire Lake. It's a decent launch there. And it's a pretty cool lake to run aorund in. Plenty of pike and some decent trout to catch there too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

ask on the canoe forum......goober.

haven't we the lowly canoeists provided sound advice? If you drive over to lake lorraine on pt mack, troll deep in the water with a spinner n some bait, OR an olive bead headed wooly bugger with deep- sinking fly-line with a bit of maribou in the wooly bugger.....you will get big rainbows. Twenty mile is good for you too. other n that.......anchorage is depressing isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    anchorage is depressing isn't it?
    On soooooooooo many levels. (I remember first moving to Anchorage thinking how awesome to live in AK. Recently, my 11 yr old son's Sunday school teacher down in FL asked him what it was like to live in AK, and he responded "It's just like any other town.")

On soooooooooo many levels. (I remember first moving to Anchorage thinking how awesome to live in AK. Recently, my 11 yr old son's Sunday school teacher down in FL asked him what it was like to live in AK, and he responded "It's just like any other town.")
    better be careful asking lowly canoe guys about you new grumman sport boat, or it might get all bloody like forum member jtm9's:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=sport+boat

That is EXACTLY what I'm going for!! In fact, I need to start a thread on my boat as I convert it from Florida fishing boat to Alaskan do-it-all boat. (The engine overhaul is just step one.)

That is EXACTLY what I'm going for!! In fact, I need to start a thread on my boat as I convert it from Florida fishing boat to Alaskan do-it-all boat. (The engine overhaul is just step one.)

whoah! calm down mountain man. take you a trip through the desert........on a horse with no name:

Sand lake. 4pm-8pm only.
    Thanks for the correction. Can't ever keep the two lakes straight!

Meh. I'm starting to think just go to Big Lake. Paved ramp and fresh water.
    If you do Big Lake, you can launch @ Burkeshore Marina For $10 and free parking. State ramps are $15 and include parking for the tow vehicle. The state ramp just a short ways past Burkeshore is the better of the 2 state ramps.