Thread: Awesome weekend in Seward, boats fixed, caught a salmon, met the trooper

Thumbs up Awesome weekend in Seward, boats fixed, caught a salmon, met the trooper

So kind of a crazy title but here's why the awesome weekend. First, I have been dealing with a temp alarm issue with my starboard engine for going on my 3rd season and it was driving me nuts. Finally after about another BOAT (Braking Out Another Thousand), I fixed the darn alarm. Was kind of driving me nuts, but I'm fixed...

2nd, we are out mainly water testing the boat and I start marking fish, so I thought what the heck lets fish. Picked up a couple halibut and then we hooked a silver. Had to do a double take but sure enough a silver. So not to much longer now, but I'm hearing more pinks are being caught than anything else, but still out pretty far, but none the less, 1st silver tasted mighty nice.

3rd, I meet up with the troopers out on the water. Thinking another basic check, my son-in-law and I get our licenses out, he comes up on us checks them, checks out safety stuff, all checks out good. Then he asks me about my rockfish recompression tool, kind of puzzled, I asked him to repeat himself and after we talk for a few, I finally understood what he was talking about. So we started talking about what I saw here on the forum from AKCAPT on how to release rockfish, using a milk crate or a release tool (spendy), and then I mentioned that I had a needle I've used in the past to deflate the stomach and return the fish. So he asked me to get rid of the needle ( I said... sure I guess, kind of puzzled). Then he told me to hold on and went inside and comes back out with a 16oz halibut jig head and said, "do this",

He had his jig head with about 6" of 100lb braided line tide to the j hook side of the hook, so the jig is basically upside down with the jig head pointed to the water (or ground if you're on land) with a swivel on the other end of the line. Then he said, the biologists say you have about 2-3 minute to get the fish back into the water and at there depth they came from and the survival rate is very high. Basically you file the barb off, keep it handy and you can have a extra rod on standby, get a rockfish, unhook the fish from your fishing rig, rehook your fish with your recompression jig head and send your fish back down to the bottom, lift up, and your fish is released with the stomach put back inside. So I thought this was really cool and I thought I would share here.

If this method was mentioned in previous posts, then I missed it. But I thought this was pretty cool. You kind of hear horror stories with some folks having issues with troopers trying to uphold our laws etc, but I've always had pretty good luck with them (but I also do try to follow the laws to). Anyway, I didn't get the troopers name (he told me but I didn't hear him), but thanks for taking the time to show me the jig tool for the rockfish release. Once back at the dock, I made my jig and have it on the ready.

So again, it was an awesome weekend in Seward, fixed my nagging engine alarm issue, caught fish, and learned something. Plus I made it down to Seward and back with no other issues.

Fish on and safe boating...
    Last edited by tzieli22; 06-24-2013 at 23:28. Reason: Typo
    Tony

Yes that rockfish release method has been mentioned on here a few times.
    Most people use the 24oz bullet heads. I have heard on the bigger rockfish you may need a 1 or 2 pound sinker tied on in addition to the weight of the jig. I made one up for my boat and everybody else should carry a rockfish release tool of some kind on board.
    Thanks for the reminder. Lots of threads on rockfish release this year. That's good that people are being proactive and taking action on this before our rockfish population really suffer.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

We have found that 4-5#s is needed for larger rockfish. We showed the trooper last time I was there and he couldn't believe how much weight was needed to get a 25# fish down....we were using 5#s at the time because 4#s wasn't doing it.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have a muffin pan that I use to make lead ingots so I put a big hook in that and filed the barb off, tie off the line to the curve in the hook. The nice thing about this is that it sets nice on a flat surface while fishing. I think it weighs around 2.5#.

I have been doing some additional web searching and see there is a lot of things or gagets on the web. You can spend $6 or upwords of about $55 or $60 bucks. Seems to me a old jig head works just fine for what I will need it for. As for needing the additional weight, adding another weight to the jig eyelet like on the fish and game website seems reasonable, and I think we all have plenty of these.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...shconservation

Sorry I missed the previous forum threads but as kasilofchrisn says, good reminder and always good to get a few extra good ideas.
    Tony