Thread: Transducer and smart tabs

Default Transducer and smart tabs

Think I'm gonna try some smart tabs out to cure my porpoising issue. Where I have my transducer mounted, it works pretty good while running and don't really wanna jeopardize turbulence from tabs interfering with my readings while running. Anyone have any pics or info on tabs and transducers? Where it is mounted now, the tab would prolly be within a couple inches. Any knowledge appreciated

You ought to give them a call and share your concerns. Toll Free: 800-233-0194 I talked to the owner/inventor about 3 yrs ago then bought an outboard that came with a stingray and didn't persue it any further. I doubt they would mislead you.

I have smart tabs on my inflatable. My transducer is a couple inches away and is fine. I am running the protroll brackets upside down on mine. They work great. My inflatable jumps on plane at 6 knots now. I did adjust pressure on them since last trip. Was forcing my bow down too much at over 25 knots.

I don't think you'll have an issue with it that close.
    What messes with your sonar signal is air bubbles trapped under the hull.
    This usually happens along the strakes.
    The Smart tabs aren't going to direct towards the sides. The water is channeled straight back.
    My transducer is quite a bit further away than yours but there are no issues.
    FYI, your porpoising will disappear instantly!!!

Attachment 71758

You will have turbulence on planing speed if its only few inches from transducer to your trim tab. Check your installation manual for your transducer, I think most transducer manual recommend 1' apart. I currently have my transducer mounted few inches from the trim tab and I do get interference while on plaining speed. I will need to weld on new transducer mount and move away from the trim tab.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    Think I'm gonna try some smart tabs out to cure my porpoising issue. Where I have my transducer mounted, it works pretty good while running and don't really wanna jeopardize turbulence from tabs interfering with my readings while running. Anyone have any pics or info on tabs and transducers? Where it is mounted now, the tab would prolly be within a couple inches. Any knowledge appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    You will have turbulence on planing speed if its only few inches from transducer to your trim tab. Check your installation manual for your transducer, I think most transducer manual recommend 1' apart. I currently have my transducer mounted few inches from the trim tab and I do get interference while on plaining speed. I will need to weld on new transducer mount and move away from the trim tab.
    Movin away from the tab means movin closer to prop turbulence...hopefully I don't have to, but I'll play with it when I get tabs on.

What kind of boat is this on? I think you will be fine with a few inches away.

Its a 20' alweld. 2070. Semi v tunnel

Will the tabs even work with the lip? Curious if that would interfere with where the piston should be mounted..
    Attached Images Attached Images

How big is the lip?

It's only about 2-3".

I don't think youd be able to use the lowest pressure positions on it due to the angle the piston would be at.

How far does the tab come out from the transom? Where it attaches to piston. Cuz from the pics I've seen the tab will hang prolly almost a foot once attached to bracket on transom..

And when you drill the holes for piston and/or mounting bracket..is it a through hull drill job? Took boat out for the first since new cab got put on and the porpoising is worse. Between the 140, power Trans, and 6 hp kicker, I got over 500 lbs hangin off the back, and it is just to **** stern heavy. I gotta get it fixed. Would really like to use the smart tabs, but a PROVEN fin or anything I would be fine with. I'm Leary of any fins, as I've heard so many mixed reviews on the diff brands/makes. Thanks

They Attach with panhead screws. The problem I see is with the lip your piston will be vertical on front couple positions. I will measure when I get home from work today.

Just give Nauticus a call or email and they will be able to advise you.

Nauticus, Inc

8080 Snowville Rd.
    Brecksville, OH 44141
    Toll Free: 800-233-0194
    Fax: 440-746-1291
    info@NauticusInc.com

Fasteners are large panhead screws.
    Pre-drill with the correct size drill bit specified in the instructions, put some 3M 4200 in the hole and screw on.

Don't know what happened to my image above, but here it is linked from off site.

I emailed them.. My question would be answer if I knew the dimensions of the mounting bracket..I've searched and only can find the dimensions of the tab itself. If the mounting bracket will fit underneath the lip w/o sticking underneath the boat, the tabs will work. Thanks

They are 2.25". I am more worried about the lip towards the back in your case. I doubt you'd be able to use 2-3 of usable positions.

You are More than welcome to come look at mine and measure if you are in anchorage.

I have the feeling they would work fine moved up and mounted on the lip instead of underneath it.
    Nautilus will know for sure though.