Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unit 14 goat

Default Unit 14 goat

Hey guys, I'm planning on registering for the 20 mile hunt this year. I'm wondering if anyone would care to share any goat hunting stories or challenges encountered while hunting this area. I dont want any specifics, I would just like to hear about some of the things you guys found out that no one warned you about.

Are you planning on walking in or taking a boat? Boat access would likely increase your odds of success. I tried walking into this area once, but I didn't budget the necessary time. I spotted goats that I could have gotten to, but it would have taken another 2-3 days beyond what I had available.

Walking in, I have 12 days off in mid September for the hunt.

I don't know you from Adam so forgive me.......
    Are you going solo? If so please anticipate a huge pack job with a Sept. hide and a fully mature Billy. If this is your first Goat hunt also consider the terrain alot more than a Sheep hunt. Goats hang in VERY dangerous habitat.

Other than that I don't know a single thing about the area your going. I just know how to hunt goats and there hasn't been a single hunt where I've come home and said "Hum, that was easy."
    I wish you a safe and sucessful hunt.

a jetboat will get you into the lake also with a knowledgeable driver. water gets skinny in the fall. fing a buddy with a boat and your chances will go WAY up... good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I don't know you from Adam so forgive me.......
    Are you going solo? If so please anticipate a huge pack job with a Sept. hide and a fully mature Billy. If this is your first Goat hunt also consider the terrain alot more than a Sheep hunt. Goats hang in VERY dangerous habitat.

Other than that I don't know a single thing about the area your going. I just know how to hunt goats and there hasn't been a single hunt where I've come home and said "Hum, that was easy."
    I wish you a safe and sucessful hunt.
    Agreed.....it seems that every year we loose at least one or two to a fall while goat hunting. If at all possible, don't go alone. It is possible to find a goat in some "lesser" terrain, and it does happen sometimes, but pretty much think of finding one in some pretty unforgiving stuff....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My name is Steve, nice to meet you. I will be hunting solo, and this will be my first mountain hunt...but we all have to start sometime right? I do realize that the pack out will be miserable and I am prepared for it. I appreciate every one's input and I can not wait to get out in the woods this fall!

Pa Pride - sending you a PM momentarily. I've hunted the area a few times on foot, but I would recommend the boat option if you can do it. On a general note (and I know I am making the assumption that you do not already know this and that I may be wrong in that), know that even though it is not illegal to take nannies (as long as they don't have kids), it does have some very significant impacts to goat populations. After putting in a ton of work to get a goat within your sights, it can be downright disheartening to discover it is a nanny or, even worse actually, to not be able to tell. I strongly advise you to study up on IDing billies - there are some good methods out there that are not obvious - and to PLEASE do not take an animal unless you are convinced it is a billy. Research emerging over just the last several years shows that the taking of nannies is much more detrimental to goats than it is to other species.

ADF&G has some great info and a quiz to test your knowledge: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu...iz_for_web.pdf

Have a great hunt, and best of luck!!!
    My signature is awesome.

So you want to be a mountain hunter.. Can't blame you it sure is cool up top and for some nothing is better. You are right you do have to start some where and I am sure you are going to get all kinds of posts here. I never hunted that area for goat but have hunted quite a bit of the park so know a thing or two about them there hills. First thing you need to know about mountains is the golden rule in my opinion that is if its almost impossible to go up it WILL be impossible to come down. It is always easier to go up.. You will need to learn how weight in your pack shifts and can literally throw you off the mountain. I use a Barney's pack and winch the snot out of it to keep it from shifting. Don't cliff out... Meaning come down a steep hill and find yourself on top of a drop off ... It can be very sketchy. Learn to ride shale on your pack... Just kidding I don't recommend that one but it is fun. Get yourself an ice/walking axe it can be a life saver... Literally. Ill write more when I have time. Or just give me a shout...

Put 150 pounds on your back with your gear set up, lay 100 feet of visquene on a steep slope, run water down it, get some local kids willow branches and car antennas, climb up and down that with the kids beating you with the sticks and antennas.....that's goat hunt practice.

I'm not joking.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Put 150 pounds on your back with your gear set up, lay 100 feet of visquene on a steep slope, run water down it, get some local kids willow branches and car antennas, climb up and down that with the kids beating you with the sticks and antennas.....that's goat hunt practice.

I'm not joking.
    A very apt description in my limited goat hunting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

I'm not joking.
    Sounds good as long as the kids glue lots of thorns to the sticks!
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Make sure you attach a long vertical object to your pack too. You'll need to hook up at least a dozen times to get the real training experience.
    Honestly, don't try descending a technical section with your pack on. Use lines and lower your pack then follow weightless.
    Mark your accent and follow that route down.

Sent you a PM about the trip.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by pa_pride View Post
    My name is Steve, nice to meet you. I will be hunting solo, and this will be my first mountain hunt...but we all have to start sometime right? I do realize that the pack out will be miserable and I am prepared for it. I appreciate every one's input and I can not wait to get out in the woods this fall!
    CRAMPONS- Alaska Lanche made me wear crampons on a goat hunt last year- THEY SAVED MY LIFE- im being serious here.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Instep are my favorite and they will keep you glued to the mtn when nothing else will.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    CRAMPONS- Alaska Lanche made me wear crampons on a goat hunt last year- THEY SAVED MY LIFE- im being serious here.
    Yup. Essential.
    My signature is awesome.

Thanks for the replies guys, i can't wait. Who wants to volunteer to hit me with willow branches? I have been going back and forth on crampons. Do the majority of you guys feel that they are worth the weight?

Yes, crampons are definitely worth the weight. As BRWNBR mentions, sometimes they are the only way to get traction on the snot grass otherwise you become a human toboggan.....

YES worth the weight!!!! Aren't you going up there to add another hundred pounds to your pack??? A couple extra at the beginning isn't going to matter when it's all over.
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast