Thread: small boat insurance

Default small boat insurance

I have a question about boater insurance requirements. I am looking into a small aluminum boat and motor. 14'aluminum and 35 horse motor. Mostly for day outings in local lakes/rivers. The way I read the requirement on the DMV website is ANY motor vehicle requiring regristration must have liability insurance. So I am required to insure it correct? I use to have a zodiac and 10 horse that was registered but not insured was I in the wrong or am I reading the requirements incorrectly? If it is required who do you use to insurance your small boats.

I woud think your tow vehicle insurance would cover you while on the road. I only added liability coverage to mine as required for a slip holder, if you bang into someone on the river I suspect it would come in handy.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I guess my question has anyone ever been asked for it from a trooper or other LEO. While on the zodiac I have had a trooper ask for the regristration and fishing license but never insurance. While being towed it is covered by my car insurance. The way the requirement reads you MUST have liability insurance on any motor vehicle that requires regristration so I would rather be safe than sorry.

Sounds like you are asking if one is required to have insurance for the boat when it is operating on the water. Last I checked, which was a few years ago and I have no reason to think it has changed, Alaska is a "boat at your own risk", so there are no "requirements" to maintain a policy when operating a pleasure craft.

That is a loose interpretation. Also, I have never been asked for proof of insurance by AST or USCG, the only reason Ihave insurance now is due to the replacement value of my current boat and the fact that it is financed, so the bank requires it, not the state.

So, to the best of my knowledge, it is a personal decision.

For a definitive answer call AST. BTW I was only able to find one company that underwrites marine insurance in Alaska at the time I secured my policy and that is Progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I have a question about boater insurance requirements. If it is required who do you use to insurance your small boats.
    Most insurance companies that sell car insurance, will sell boat insurance.. State Farm, Allstate, Gieco, USAAA, etc.... it's a good idea to have insurance... just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Most insurance companies that sell car insurance, will sell boat insurance.. State Farm, Allstate, Gieco, USAAA, etc.... it's a good idea to have insurance... just in case.
    USAA does not have boat insurance. They referred me to Progressive.

I called the trooper office here in Fairbanks yesterday afternoon just to ask and they referred me to the statute that I read yesterday. Stating that insurance is required on ANY motor vechicle requiring regristration that is going to be used on public lands to include snowmachines and ATV's. They said if you are going to use them 100% on private land then it is not a requirement. They also went on to say since I asked about small boats/ inflateables that there was confusion in regards to tenders the coast guard reconizes tenders as a part of the main boat so if you have a large boat with insurance then it will cover your tender but that is not so in Alaska and your tender has to be registered and insured seperately... just an FYI I imagine there are ALOT of people in violation of this.

My boat insurance is thru ACE USA Recreational Marine Insurance.
    I bought it thru Wells Fargo Insurance Service

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I called the trooper office here in Fairbanks yesterday afternoon just to ask and they referred me to the statute that I read yesterday. Stating that insurance is required on ANY motor vechicle requiring regristration that is going to be used on public lands to include snowmachines and ATV's. They said if you are going to use them 100% on private land then it is not a requirement. They also went on to say since I asked about small boats/ inflateables that there was confusion in regards to tenders the coast guard reconizes tenders as a part of the main boat so if you have a large boat with insurance then it will cover your tender but that is not so in Alaska and your tender has to be registered and insured seperately... just an FYI I imagine there are ALOT of people in violation of this.
    \

Insurance for a tender is required ONLY if the tender is motorized. Also, per your "Stating that insurance is required on ANY motor vechicle requiring registration that is going to be used on public lands to include snowmachines and ATV's."

I spent some time reading through the statutes earlier and could find zero reference to boats specificaly mentioned as coming under the mandatory insurance provision, every reference was to a car/truck/bus etal'. I will look somemore and I will try to find where I read once upon a time that Alaska is a "boat at your own risk", barring negligence of course, state.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    \

Insurance for a tender is required ONLY if the tender is motorized. Also, per your "Stating that insurance is required on ANY motor vechicle requiring registration that is going to be used on public lands to include snowmachines and ATV's."

I spent some time reading through the statutes earlier and could find zero reference to boats specificaly mentioned as coming under the mandatory insurance provision, every reference was to a car/truck/bus etal'. I will look somemore and I will try to find where I read once upon a time that Alaska is a "boat at your own risk", barring negligence of course, state.
    Yes only if the tender is motorized I should of clarified that .