Thread: Best place to bank fish?

Default Best place to bank fish?

I am going to be staying in Cooper Landing, Was thinking of doing the whole guide thing, But i have decided just to fish myself. Is there any spots that would be better for fishing on the bank on the Kenai?

I have heard that the Kenai is pretty big and certain parts are harder to fish on. I figured the Upper would be best, yall agree?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by ccooper88 View Post
    I am going to be staying in Cooper Landing, Was thinking of doing the whole guide thing, But i have decided just to fish myself. Is there any spots that would be better for fishing on the bank on the Kenai?

I have heard that the Kenai is pretty big and certain parts are harder to fish on. I figured the Upper would be best, yall agree?
    When do you plan to be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    When do you plan to be there?
    I will be there July 10th-12th.

Quote Originally Posted by ccooper88 View Post

What do you want to fish for? If you are going after reds, your best bet would be go down towards Soldotna to fish. If you want to fish for rainbows and trying to fish from the bank, hit multiple spots. Park in th epull outs and head to the water and fish. In the end, if you want ot go after rainbows, I would take a guided trip in a boat. You can hit more water and the guides know where the fish are probably going to be.

It's good to plan ahead, but I found fishing without local knowledge here challenging in the beginning. It takes awhile, or a good friend who knows the ropes to get going. Guided fishing probably will be less hassle and more productive.

Read the regs carefully too. I don't tell a lot of people of my first meeting with an AK wildlife trooper. He was professional about the whole thing, but not.. openly.. humored. It crossed my mind -as I had heard sometimes happens - he might confiscate our ride and we'd be walking home! Anyway, the north (road side) bank of the Kenai is closed to all fishing in places. Other places (Upper Kenai) are single hook, artificial lures only and if you plan to use fly gear, brush along the bank might complicate matters.

My family and I enjoyed our first guided trips - we caught fish, had fun and learned a lot. Best of luck whatever you decide.