Thread: Closest Fish Cleaning Station to Eagle River?

Default Closest Fish Cleaning Station to Eagle River?

I was wondering where is the closest Fish Cleaning Station to Eagle River is. i didn't have the proper knife to do anything but gut them at Chitina, any help would be greatly appreciated

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtisd View Post
    I was wondering where is the closest Fish Cleaning Station to Eagle River is. i didn't have the proper knife to do anything but gut them at Chitina, any help would be greatly appreciated
    Don't know of any. I would suggest the garage, then dispose of carcasses at the landfill. DO NOT just go dump them in the nearest body of water.

Well I was thinking either Elklutna Tailrace or Mirror Lake. It appears that some people think you should'nt dump carcases back into the water but since neither of these two spots are getting hit/fished very hard this year, I don't think it would be a bad thing. It would feed the eagles and other birds and well as the smaller fish... just my .02cents... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Well I was thinking either Elklutna Tailrace or Mirror Lake. It appears that some people think you should'nt dump carcases back into the water but since neither of these two spots are getting hit/fished very hard this year, I don't think it would be a bad thing. It would feed the eagles and other birds and well as the smaller fish... just my .02cents... "fishon"
    As well as attract bears to a residential area (Mirror Lake).....

Dumping carcasses back into the water from which they where caught is one thing. Hauling them hundreds of miles and dumping them in someones backyard is quite another......

Your ".02cents" are best spent elsewhere.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Seriously, you don't think that dumping hundreds of salmon carcasses into Mirror Lake would be a bad thing? (If it's OK for one person to do it, then it's OK for everyone in Anchorage to do it right?) Dumping the carcasses back into the water they came from is one thing, but piling them up in the local lakes is just as wrong as piling them up on your front lawn.

OOPPSS!!! Guess I should have just kept my .02cents to myself. But I didn't. Sorry bout that. You know salmon carcasses sink right? I would hope the person fileting would throw them far out into the water and not just leave them on the shore. Also, welcome to Alaska. Its "BEAR COUNTRY DUDE"...
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    As well as attract bears to a residential area (Mirror Lake).....

Dumping carcasses back into the water from which they where caught is one thing. Hauling them hundreds of miles and dumping them in someones backyard is quite another......

Your ".02cents" are best spent elsewhere.

And as for you, nobody said anything about hundreds of salmon, maybe 35 at best. I just thought that would be better that the carcasses sitting in the sun rotting at the dump when they could be used to feed future fishes and other wildlife. Sorry for thinking ahead...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Seriously, you don't think that dumping hundreds of salmon carcasses into Mirror Lake would be a bad thing? (If it's OK for one person to do it, then it's OK for everyone in Anchorage to do it right?) Dumping the carcasses back into the water they came from is one thing, but piling them up in the local lakes is just as wrong as piling them up on your front lawn.

OOPPSS!!! Guess I should have just kept my .02cents to myself. But I didn't. Sorry bout that. You know salmon carcasses sink right? I would hope the person fileting would throw them far out into the water and not just leave them on the shore. Also, welcome to Alaska. Its "BEAR COUNTRY DUDE"...
    You said yourself that this practice would "help feed the Eagles". How is that possible...unless the slobs that do it pile the carcasses near/on shore? It's rediculous that people think that everything outside their own property lines is their personal garbage dump.

I watched a documentary where they were chartering helicopters to dump salmon carcasses in the headwaters of the Columbia as part of an ecological rehab project.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Fish and Game has made it very clear in past years that it is very bad practice to dump fish in local lakes and streams. Besides attracting bears (yes, it is bear country - but they don't need human provided food), you run the risk of introducing non-native parasites to local waters and in turn harming local fish populations. I did it many years ago, but never again. If I have the freezer space, I save the carcasses for shrimp bait - if not, they go to the landfill. 95% of the time I clean them where I catch them and return the nutrients to the system, but when brought home, that is simply not a responsible option.

And as for you, nobody said anything about hundreds of salmon, maybe 35 at best. I just thought that would be better that the carcasses sitting in the sun rotting at the dump when they could be used to feed future fishes and other wildlife. Sorry for thinking ahead...
    And as for you, who said anything about 35 at best? Fact is, there are lot's (hundreds?) of folks from Anchorage and Eagle River that dipnet, and it's not OK for any of them to dump their garbage in Mirror Lake. The eagles eat very well at the dump.

Just another opinion regarding dumping of fish carcases in local streams and lakes, have you ever been out to Knik Lake? What a mess during dipnet season. We host a triathlon out there each year around that time of year and do you have any idea how disgusting it is to jump into a lake only to find a solid layer of rotting salmon carcases just off shore?

As Brian said, probably the biggest issue of all is the potential to spread disease between different bodies of water. The second thing would be the greatly increased attraction of bears that wouldn't be there otherwise. Yes, it is bear country, but adding a significant amount of food to one location at one time will attract more into that area, then they will use up that one-time food source and suddenly start looking for something to supplement it before moving on (trash/homes/etc...).

Only three options really regarding cleaning fish. Clean them where you catch them, compost the stuff yourself or otherwise use it yourself, or landfill.

My apologies to all for giving advice... I guess the lesson here is never forget your fillet knife... "fishon"

Remember this?
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...salmon-dumping

Apparently dumping in local waters is not only unethical but also illegal. Most people are also not going to dump their fish in water deep enough to not be a problem or current fast enough to carry them away and that is not including the disease and bear issues as previously stated.
    If a person cannot remember to bring a fillet knife dipnetting........ well I'll just say bring a knife with you. It is ridiculous not to. REDICULOUS!!!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"