Thread: Spotting grayling in the water

Default Spotting grayling in the water

Walked a few miles of the chatinika and hammered the grayling. The water is low and clear but for the life if me could not spot a single fish in the water. It was as if the invisible fish just magically appeared on the end of my line. I was fishing two or three foot sections of river catching grayling 14" or so in length. What's your trick to spotting these fish in the river kinda dumb founded after this weekend on where these fish came from considering I could not see any of them tell the bit my line.

Are you using polarized sun glasses?

Sight fishing for them is not difficult with some good polarized sun glasses. Of course water clarity will be a big factor, was the water clear, cloudy, or like chocolate milk?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    What's your trick to spotting these fish in the river kinda dumb founded after this weekend on where these fish came from considering I could not see any of them tell the bit my line.
    When the water's clear enough I look for shadows (I don't have polarized sunglasses, just regular ones) - you can see shadows more clearly than the fish. Also, graylings' white mouths can be pretty visible, again in clear water.

But I don't sight fish much. If the water looks fishy it probably is. Look for holes (they'll show up as color changes in the water - darker is deeper), holes on outside bends, under trees and cut banks, etc.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

I fished the Chatinika yesterday, too. Didn't do as well as you did, as most of the fish I caught were under 12". With the water as clear as it was, I saw most fish in the slower holes and runs with polarized sunglasses, even in deep water. I could see them rise to dries or move horizontally to intercept nymph patterns.

P.S. Did you by chance find a cute little 2 weight, 7' fly rod and reel near the campground/river? I was long overdue for doing something stupid, and drove off with it sitting on top of my truck topper, and didn't realize my mistake until arriving home!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffpappy View Post
    I fished the Chatinika yesterday, too. Didn't do as well as you did, as most of the fish I caught were under 12". With the water as clear as it was, I saw most fish in the slower holes and runs with polarized sunglasses, even in deep water. I could see them rise to dries or move horizontally to intercept nymph patterns.

P.S. Did you by chance find a cute little 2 weight, 7' fly rod and reel near the campground/river? I was long overdue for doing something stupid, and drove off with it sitting on top of my truck topper, and didn't realize my mistake until arriving home!
    No I never did sorry to hear you lost it I was quite a few miles north if the campground though

I have polarized sunglasses but a cheap pair maybe I need to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    I have polarized sunglasses but a cheap pair maybe I need to upgrade
    I'd almost bet they had gray lenses. Looking for gray fish in gray water on a gray day with gray lenses is kinda handicapping. Switch to tan or even yellow lenses for a considerable improvement.

Someone said look for shadows of the fish. That's really a good stunt on bright sunny days. You can spot their shadows on the bottom long before you pick out the fish.