Thread: Is Chitna still flooded?

Default Is Chitna still flooded?

Can anyone tell me how Dip Netting is in Chitna? I am wanting to go down this coming Thursday but I hear that the water is high.

I've got the same question. I was planning on heading down Friday with the boat. What's the best place to find water level info for chitina?

The NOAA hydrologic sites for McCarthy Bridge and O'Brien Creek are not manned this year. You can surmise what's going on by looking at the Million Dollar Bridge, Tonsina River, and the Kennicott River.

Thanks for the info... I am most likely headed out Thursday! I hear the charters have opened back up. I will try the bank first.

Exclamation Be Aware

Chitina forecast this week:

May have some rapidly rising water again.

I just wanted to say I appreciate the info u give gr8fl it has helped me and im sure others also. Thanks

I just got back today. Still flooded but the fishing was Hot. Everybody was catching fish. I took the charter. 10 groups left between 5-6 am and were all back with limits by 10. We caught several triples. We let go at least 30 fish. So many it allowed us to be selective!

It sounds like you had some success... I think I will leave tomorrow evening! I'm hoping to hop on a charter Thursday morning! Thanks for the info NWF99

According to water level at million dollar bridge water level residing but with the high temps posted by gr8fl temps will rise and glacial melt will occur. I was there on Sunday and at 0700 hours people were pulling in every go around on the rotation at the bridge but they had very long poles. I saw one boat submereged as you look south from the bridge at the first island, now they were trying to pull a fish wheel back but my cousin also helped a trooper pull a body up the bank. So boaters be ware and most everyone dipping from shore had a life preserver. So please be safe when you go out.

Default Wow...Data!

Just noticed a measurement on the McCarthy Bridge NOAA water level page:

Historical Perspective

NOAA site still says:
    NOTE: We are looking for a volunteer to monitor this river gauge. If interested, contact the local NWS office.

This is from the Chitina Dipnet Hotline:

Fishing Report: Fri, Jun 28th at 7:45am
    The river is flooding, making travel perilous. The charters are closed effective this morning. Things might change in two to four days. I will do daily updates by 6pm, starting Saturday, to keep you posted. Fishing should be excellent when the river drops.

Looks like the answer is yes, its flooding.
    Kelvin

Default Historical Miles Lake Water Level Comparison

This chart will NOT refresh in this view, but will on my site.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    This chart will NOT refresh in this view, but will on my site.
    All I get is access denied when I click on your links
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Roger that. After 280,000 free hits I went capitalistic.

Default Sequestration and Copper River Water Level Data

Just wrote letters to Young, Begich, and Murkowski asking for funding for the water level sites. Text is as follows:

Dear [congressperson]:
    Since June of 2003 I have operated the Copper River | Chitina Dipnet Escapement Fishery Charts website to assist Alaska residents with planning successful personal use and subsistence harvests of Copper River sockeye and king salmon. My website draws upon published State and Federal information sources to provide detailed graphical representations of critical information and is approaching 300,000 hits.

One key factor affecting harvest success is the water level of the Copper River. In the past, NOAA has provided water level information for the McCarthy Bridge and O’Brien Creek near Chitina. The person who made those measurements was a volunteer, and moved to Fairbanks earlier this year. Since then, no water level information has been provided for O’Brien Creek, and only sporadic data entries have been made for the McCarthy Bridge. This has handicapped dipnetters’ abilities to accurately assess fishing conditions.

I contacted Scott Lindsey at NOAA and was told that because of sequestration, they did not have the funds to travel to Chitina to train someone. On behalf of the thousands of Alaska residents who depend on the Copper River for our families’ salmon, I am asking for your assistance in providing funding for water level measurements at McCarthy Bridge and O’Brien Creek.

Sincerely,

Anthony W. Reetz

Thank u ...the time u put in is greatly appreciated...I used to use the water levels alot.and was disappointed when they stopped