Thread: mosquito relief ( for a dog)

Default mosquito relief ( for a dog)

What do you guys do for your dogs? Down where I'm at on the Kenai people are saying they are the worst in memory (35 years here for me). I'm using some cutters rubbed on the face. Other ideas?

My neighbor found a big bandana that supposedly has repellent in it that he ties around his dog's neck. I don't see why any bandana well treated with deet wouldn't work. But, really, I don't like deet on me. I can't see how a dog would like it. I don't use the stuff. I use sleeves, light gloves, and a head net.

I rub some some Avon skin so soft on the dogs just like myself. Nothing good for ya is full proof but SSS helps alot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I use Off Botanicals lotion. Its plant based so Im more comfortable with it incase he licks an area I have applied it. Also I use the lotion because I can make sure its not in his eyes and he just thinks he's getting pet so he doesn't try to lick it off.

I can't recall the actual name of the stuff, but there are bug sprays that are designed for pets that won't be a problem for them. I don't know how well they work or not, but just saw it a few days ago.

You can go to your vet and ask for "K9 Advantage". It works for keeping away mosquitos by applying the liquid between the dog's shoulder blades and being absorbed in the dog's blood stream (takes 48 hours - can't wash the dog). One vial last for one month. Roughly costs about $20/vial.

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    You can go to your vet and ask for "K9 Advantage". It works for keeping away mosquitos by applying the liquid between the dog's shoulder blades and being absorbed in the dog's blood stream (takes 48 hours - can't wash the dog). One vial last for one month. Roughly costs about $20/vial.
    Thanks for the tip. Just did some cursory research. The active ingredient in K9Advantix is Premathin. I've used premathin as a clothing treatment against mosquitoes with HUGE success. (As in, I canoed in the Everglades without getting a single bite.)

As for myself, I use (on me, not the dog) nothing less than 100% DEET. DEET on exposed skin, Premathin on the clothes. THEN a bug net if needed. (Last week, it was needed, ugh!)

I've never used anything on the dog, but I think I might buy a 4 pk of that Advantix and give it a try.

BTW, pet smart sells it for $60.99 on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    There is a few versions of this stuff around, the best stuff you have to get from a vet. I don't recall what its called since my wife always takes care of it (she works there...). Anyhow we've used the OTC stuff and the perscription stuff and with our short haired dog he HAS to have the perscription stuff, it works great!

I received this recipe from a relative but haven't got the ingredients yet for a test...looks like there aren't any harmful chemicals for dogs

HOME MADE MOSQUITO REPELLENT (ALSO FOR ANTS & FLEAS)
    (And free from chemicals that poison the body)

Ingredients:

16 oz of alcohol
    3.5 oz of whole cloves
    3.5 oz of baby oil or similar (almond, sesame, chamomile, lavender, fennel etc)

Preparation:
    Leave cloves to marinate in alcohol four days
    Stir every morning and evening
    After 4 days add the oil
    It's now ready to use.

How to use: Gently rub a few drops into the skin of the arms and legs.