Thread: Saltwater boat storage

Default Saltwater boat storage

Is it poosible too a moor a boat at harbour all year round. Does this have any residual effect on the engine , paint etc. etc. in regards to the salt water. It would appear advantageous if it could be done as it would alleviate the cost ( time and human ) of retrieving the boat and storing it after every time of use. Do some captains store their boats periodically so that they can deep clean maybe in the offseason?? Can anyone advise

It's possible, even desirable in some locations and with larger boats. Extra care is required, of course. The issue becomes one of available space in many ports. There's often a shortage of permanent slips, with years-long waiting lists.

Also a problem of freshwater on the docks for washing the salt off the rig after fishing in mid winter.

Some of the problems you could have is snow and ice build up on the boat, you will have to hire a local to remove it or do it your self to keep the boat from sinking. You will also need to have shore power going to the boat to power the bulge pumps. If you are unlucky and the slip is a “HOT” slip you could have major corrosion.

I'm getting the feeling the consensus is against mooring the boat in the salt all year round. I was considering somewhere in the SE so it looks like ill have to find somewhere to trailer the boat in the periods ill not be using it. I was thinking that the harbours in the SE would have plenty of capacity for year round moorage. Would that be correct?

In general, most recreational boaters moor their boats for the summer season, or 6 months in POW ports, so year round moorage is generally available. I know it is usually a bit cheaper to pre-pay for a year instead of month by month as well.

There are also storage yards available in major POW communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    I'm getting the feeling the consensus is against mooring the boat in the salt all year round. I was considering somewhere in the SE so it looks like ill have to find somewhere to trailer the boat in the periods ill not be using it. I was thinking that the harbours in the SE would have plenty of capacity for year round moorage. Would that be correct?
    I know folks who leave their boats in all winter, but if not in their home port always with a paid caretaker to check in it frequently during heavy rains or wind and shovel snow as needed. It's entirely do-able, but an extra layer of "administration" compared to a haul-out into onshore storage. The problem with trailering overwinter would arise when your boat and trailer were separated by hundreds of miles with no connecting roads. If the boat yard in your winter port has a lift and trolly system, no problem with trailering.

I would love to keep mine in year round, but the lack of freshwater to wash her down everyday, nope.

Maybe , I will reconsider my position on this fact. I would love to have my own boat moored at one of the POW harbours. When I not around I can get someone to give it the once over. Thanks guys