Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Irish Lord = Yum Yum

  1. #1

    Default Irish Lord = Yum Yum

    Going to follow Berto's lead on his flounder post with one on Irish Lords. Trip before last I caught and released the biggest Irish Lord I'd ever seen. Did some reading on them and one article said they were good eating and commercially harvested in some places. So, last trip I got another good sized one and decided to munch it. It was pretty easy to fillet from the top down...head is way too wide, for me anyway, to do it on its side. There's a good chunk of meat to be had but because it tapers so rapidly that I cut it into 1" medallions and sauteed them in coconut oil and diced onions and hit it at the end with this lemon, lime, cayenne and sage sauce I make. I really prefer black and yellow eye rock fish to halibut, so I was pleased that the Irish Lord's texture and flavor were on that level. Never been on a boat where they didn't get pitched as fast as they were caught. I certainly appreciate that those who have the prime fishing hot spots down and the ability to get there passing on these for any number of good reasons...but these are a long ways off from bad!

  2. #2

    Default

    Had you been drinking?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Had you been drinking?
    Well, ya...but only water. Have you ever tried them? Reminds me of the guy I went fishing with a couple years ago...he wouldn't allow a cod to be hauled over the rail but fessed up to paying $7 lb and more for the very same thing at the store...just not as fresh.

  4. #4

    Default

    Can't say I have, too ugly, spiny, and generally full of worms for me to ever think wow I should fry one of these up sometime haha. To each their own, was just pulling your leg.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Can't say I have, too ugly, spiny, and generally full of worms for me to ever think wow I should fry one of these up sometime haha. To each their own, was just pulling your leg.
    Oh, I know..lol If ugly saved a fish's bacon, Lings would lead a long and peaceful life. That said, I have to admit that I can't think of anything uglier than an Irish Lord!

  6. #6
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Ive never caught one that didn't have worms just pouring out of it. I cannot say eating one has ever crossed my mind.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Ive never caught one that didn't have worms just pouring out of it. I cannot say eating one has ever crossed my mind.
    Well, that doesn't sound appetizing at all. The one I munched was clean as a whistle. Btw...how is that deck restore working out?

  8. #8

    Default

    The Irish Lord's I've caught always seemed fairly clean. Not like those Cabezon/bucket mouth. Those things always have worms crawling all over them. I might just try one...while Im drinking.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Butte
    Posts
    43

    Default

    All fish have worms! Most of the time they are only in the gut area. The small white ones found in the meat you will never no are there. Its the long white, red, and somtimes black ones that are a turn off. If you have eaten fish, you have eaten worms! The end result is that it still tastes good and will still make a turd!

  10. #10
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Btw...how is that deck restore working out?
    Seems to be doing very well. Shows no sign of wear or water damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daplumber View Post
    All fish have worms! Most of the time they are only in the gut area. The small white ones found in the meat you will never no are there. Its the long white, red, and somtimes black ones that are a turn off. If you have eaten fish, you have eaten worms! The end result is that it still tastes good and will still make a turd!
    I know they do. But when you haul one in and the worms are coming out of its eyes and nose and mouth like a play dough fry maker its not exactly the most mouth watering image.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    The Irish Lord's I've caught always seemed fairly clean. Not like those Cabezon/bucket mouth. Those things always have worms crawling all over them. I might just try one...while Im drinking.
    Was curious...do we have Cabezon in AK? I visit a forum that focuses on Oregon saltwater fishing and they mention them there from time to time.

  12. #12

    Default

    Well I call them Cabezon, but I dont think they are the same as down in Oregon/California. I have caught those ones out of BC but not here in AK.
    I dont know what the name is for that bucket mouthed fished that is so nasty. Thats the I believe Batmobile is referring to. Those ones do have worms crawling all over them and inside the mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Was curious...do we have Cabezon in AK? I visit a forum that focuses on Oregon saltwater fishing and they mention them there from time to time.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

  13. #13
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    I dont know what the name is for that bucket mouthed fished that is so nasty. Thats the I believe Batmobile is referring to. Those ones do have worms crawling all over them and inside the mouth.
    I was told it was an irish lord but I may have been misinformed. I will try to find a pic and maybe someone who is a little more knowledgeable about species can identify it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  14. #14
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Had you been drinking?
    That's what I thought as well. Maybe if I had no other choice, I would try it, but if you give me a choice between moose or parker squirrel, the moose will win every time. If I run out of moose and get hungry, the parker squirrels might start looking good.

  15. #15
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Cabezon are in the same family as the Irish Lord, Cottidae (Sculpins). The Cabezon and Irish Lord are completely different species though. Cabezon are mostly restricted to Southeast waters near the Panhandle.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •