Thread: Arrowtooth Flounder as Table Fare = Not Bad

Post Arrowtooth Flounder as Table Fare = Not Bad

I caught one of these at the mouth of Resurrection River near Seward yesterday. I have also caught several of them while dipping for sockeyes, but never kept them in the past. I cleaned the one I caught yesterday and fried it in corn meal with salt and pepper tonight for supper. The flavor was good (mild), but the flesh was soft/mushy. Overall, not bad. Just a heads up for those who were curious. Best of luck fishing no matter where you go!

You sure it was arrow tooth I usually get arrow tooth much deeper and catch star flounder when dipping.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Yep, same as the previous poster - I've only ever seen starry flounder caught when dipping. Arrowtooth generally inhabit deeper water. Starry flounder are known as being totally decent table fare, but the same is not true for arrowtooth according to most who have tried it.

Arrowtooth:

Starry:

arrow tooth flounder-mushy
    starry flounder-quite delicious
    raw cod heart-tastes like pork
    raw cod tongue-tastes like gritty pork

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    I caught one of these at the mouth of Resurrection River near Seward yesterday. I have also caught several of them while dipping for sockeyes, but never kept them in the past. I cleaned the one I caught yesterday and fried it in corn meal with salt and pepper tonight for supper. The flavor was good (mild), but the flesh was soft/mushy. Overall, not bad. Just a heads up for those who were curious. Best of luck fishing no matter where you go!
    Boy, I have to join the others in doubting it was arrowtooth. The shallowest I've ever caught one was 88' of water, and that was so shallow it shocked heck out of me. Here is ID stuff on the arrowtooth. Here is some poop on the starry flounder.

Based on your catching them while dipping, I'd lean almost exclusively to starry flounder. They come right into the estuaries, and I've seen them in a little further upstream in freshwater.

Arrowtooth turn into fish-flavored mashed potatoes when you cook them. Starries on the other hand are quite good.

Some say Irish Lord is good too . . .

^^^^^ I'd heard that, too, and of course, I had to try it to see. When the tiny filet is off of the fish and in water, it releases so much oil that there is a sheen in the sink. The flavor wasn't horrible, but it wasn't all that great, either.

AFAIC, it is lumped into the category with lynx, hare, red squirrel, porcupine, beaver, starry flounder, and chum salmon as great survival food, but not something you want to spend time or money trying to harvest.

Default My Bad, It Was a Starry Flounder!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, same as the previous poster - I've only ever seen starry flounder caught when dipping. Arrowtooth generally inhabit deeper water. Starry flounder are known as being totally decent table fare, but the same is not true for arrowtooth according to most who have tried it.

Arrowtooth:

Starry:

Thanks for the pics, Brian.

I'm a newbie to AK and was fishing for Halibut a few weeks ago. I was thrilled when I caught my first one, and brought it home and cooked it up for dinner for my girlfriend and I. After that, I was wondering what all the "hype" was about - people saying that halibut was so awesome as tablefare. I thought the flavor was ok, but the texture was rather mushy. I'm great at taking care of my fish, keeping them fresh, cleaning them, and cooking them - so I thought, what the heck?

Last week, I went fishing up in Seward with two gentlemen that I met on here. On that trip, I learned the difference between Arrowtooth Flounder and Halibut, and now it all makes sense! BTW, my girlfriend and I called the flounder "fish pate'". If I was hard up for fish to eat, I'd have at it - but when there's halibut and salmon to be had, then I've got no use for it!

I understand the hatred of arrowtooth after fishing Seward on Friday. The wind kicked up just enough that I didn't want to beat everyone up heading far out, so I ducked behind the lee side of the islands. I lost track but I think we hooked about 10 arrowtooth and no halibut. They are one of the strangest fish to reel up, sometimes it feels like there is nothing on the line, sometimes it feels like a boot. And when it comes to the surface you realize, not another one of those toothy buggers.

I have eaten starrry flounder and they aren't bad, just not enough meat to make it worth dealing with and a skin that takes the edge right off your knife. I've also taken a few other small flounder out of PWS, not bad cooked up fresh on the boat but I'll throw them back rather than put them in the cooler.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    ...and a skin that takes the edge right off your knife.
    The trick on that is to reverse your knife and cut the skin from the inside out, if you follow me.

After my wife and I caught our first few Snaggletooth, er I mean, Arrowtooth Flounders we figured surely they couldn't be as bad on the table as popular wisdom says. Man, we tried everything we could think of, but popular wisdom has it right, they're just about inedible. We eat just about everything, but draw the line with these things. Oy.