Thread: How useful would a 17.5' w/ a 115 hp engine be?

Default How useful would a 17.5' w/ a 115 hp engine be?

I'm PCSing to Elmendorf in September.

I have a 17.5 Princecraft with a 115 merc. I was planning on storing it at my dads, but I really don't want to be without a boat for 3 years. I'm just really unsure how much action it'd see.

What do you guys think?

Watch the seas carefully and u can get out after butts and salt kings out of homer. You should be able to get to reds silvers butts and rocks out of Seward. Maybe some tubbing on big lake. I would certainly bring it up.

There are a lot of things to do up here with a boat. There is no one boat that does it all. What do you want to do with a boat? Salt water, Lakes or Rivers? In my opinion, your boat would just barely do the ocean, would be overkill for most lakes and would not be shallow running for most all the rivers. So, you have a nice boat that won't do much in South Central AK. Maybe sell it and get one up here. You won't use it much in Sept-April, so you have time to find what you want and maybe save up some money. Maybe get one where you are and have the Airforce ship it up here? Good luck.

How would you get it here?
    Realistically I'd have to go with Daved on this one considering your location. Living closer to the marine environment I'd spring for a bigger boat with cover of some type and just sell it when you re-locate out of state.
    For up where you'll be a flatter bottomed smaller engined boat would be ideal I think, even something kenai river legal which is 50 hp max 4 stroke.
    Plus any day that would be nice enough to take that princecraft out on the salt would likely be doable in an "Alaskan" boat.

I'd pull it up with my truck. It's been on some pretty long hauls already, that part doesn't bother me too much.

I won't sell it. I'll be needing it in a few years and don't want to go through out fitting another boat.

I am really leaning towards just leaving it behind and maybe trying to fit a smaller jet in the budget.

thanks for the replies.