Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airline travel wth ammo

Default Airline travel wth ammo

I was checking some flights a couple days ago into Newfoundland from US on Canadian Air... I read where they want ammo stored away from the gun case, packed in a wood or metal container and then wrapped in clothing articles in a suit case... My first thought was that may be a tough bill to fill finding a wood or metal box for a couple boxes of ammo??? Anybody else fly and have to do this on air travel to AK or elsewhere on other airlines? If so, idea's on boxes that filled the requirements? Not sure this is the best place for this thread but since not all travelers are hunters I thought it may be???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Flying domestic via Alaska Airlines was easy: in the original manufacturers box or other container made for ammo (plastic cartridge boxes work fine).

Canada/international? Metal/wood box and wrapped in clothing? Hiding it within the baggage? ***?

AFAIC, Canada is overseas anymore, and I'm not going there.

I've flown with several different types of ammo packed in plastic ammo boxes and then packed in a USGI metal ammo can (drilled and fitted with a locking system).

I went to Africa and used a lockable pistol case inside my suitcase for my ammo and had no problems with that.

Sent while hiding from the boss

Just brought 4 boxes of 10 mm from Portland Or to Anchorage in factory boxes declared it and that was all. Alaska Air

I went to their official site and it is a bit more lax than the other info I had read...
    0321 Tony thats a great idea to pack in a lockable pistol case - thanks for the inputs!

Passengers travelling with a firearm, ammunition or cartridges must declare the items during the check-in process and complete a declaration form.
    Only shells and cartridges are accepted and must be carried in checked baggage. Gunpowder and gunpowder pellets are strictly prohibited.
    Ammunition allowance is limited to 5 kg (11 lb) per passenger. Allowances for more than one passenger cannot be combined into one or more packages.
    View related information in the ‘Firearms' section below.
    Packing instructions
    The firearm and the ammunition must not be packed in the same container.
    Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a resealable plastic container.
    To avoid shock movement, the properly packaged ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

It would be nice if the ammo/gun thing was standardized within the industry.

I flew up to hunt moose two years ago on US Airways. I had the rifle ammo in a hard plastic case inside the lockable Pelican rifle case along with the rifle. No problem on US Airways but the rifle case was denied on ERA from Anchorage to Kenai. ERA doesn't allow the ammo to be in the same case as the firearm.

Talk about panicking, I missed that flight. I wasn't going to leave the tuned hand loads behind. I caught a cab to Sportsman's on the Old Seward, bought a separate case then went back to the airport. What a cluster...

Bottom line, we must check each airline along our intended travel route to verify their policy regarding ammo/guns and packaging. It helps to print each policy and keep it available for reference should the agent not know the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post

I flew up to hunt moose two years ago on US Airways. I had the rifle ammo in a hard plastic case inside the lockable Pelican rifle case along with the rifle. No problem on US Airways but the rifle case was denied on ERA from Anchorage to Kenai. ERA doesn't allow the ammo to be in the same case as the firearm.

Talk about panicking, I missed that flight. I wasn't going to leave the tuned hand loads behind. I caught a cab to Sportsman's on the Old Seward, bought a separate case then went back to the airport. What a cluster...

Bottom line, we must check each airline along our intended travel route to verify their policy regarding ammo/guns and packaging. It helps to print each policy and keep it available for reference should the agent not know the rules.
    Good to know about ERA, I read the Alaska Airlines page today and they indicated packing ammo with guns is OK.

I always fly Alaska Airlines if I have a choice. I've never had a problem with them, guns & ammo...raised some eyebrows with TSA, but cleared OK.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post

ERA is owned by Alaska Airlines, they have the same rules. You can go here to read them: http://www.flyera.com/passengerservi...e/faq#firearms
    I did not see anything about ammo/firearms being seperate. Important hint: the people behind the counter do not know the regs of the airlines they work for. You need to download and print them for just such an instance. It might keep you from missing a flight.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

How many 250 grain 358 Winchester boolits do it take to make 11 pounds worth? I figure if we can only kill one moose and one bear then 4 shells each for a couple of crack shots like us ought to be plenty. I just tried and I can get 20 rounds in metal bandaid box! Were good to go man!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    How many 250 grain 358 Winchester boolits do it take to make 11 pounds worth? I figure if we can only kill one moose and one bear then 4 shells each for a couple of crack shots like us ought to be plenty. I just tried and I can get 20 rounds in metal bandaid box! Were good to go man!
    I probably should have eluded to the fact that Smokey can't go on this hunt with out me!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    EKC, I think they will toss your "band aide" box out unless you can keep them rounds in a original ammo box and then stuff it in a band aide container! Good Grief I can see your going to start a riff with the Candian Gov't for sure....

What on earth would we do with the 2 xtra rounds anyway???

It is all dependant on the Airline you use and if switching airlines you need to check with all the different airlines you'll be traveling on. Some require separate packing from firearm, some do not. All require the ammo to be in an ammo approved container or factory packaging, but some may have tighter restrictions such as the wood/metal box. The ammount is based on TSA standards which is 11lbs. All firearms and ammo must be declared at check-in. I have traveled numerous times and only once did I have an issue where Delta pulled my baggage in Seattle and made me open up my bag; this occured during a transfer of flights after my bags had been checked in AK, but it was in the summer of 2002 when 9/11 heightened security was in place.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

A quick check shows Alaska Airline allows up to 50# of ammo. I have carried more that 11# on AA several times. Neither they nor TSA was concerned about the quanity. On a couple of trips TSA has pulled my ammo out of the metal containers and looked it over, them packed it back up and I was on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Just brought 4 boxes of 10 mm from Portland Or to Anchorage in factory boxes declared it and that was all. Alaska Air
    You should've brought back 3x that lol we should've coordinated this!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    You should've brought back 3x that lol we should've coordinated this!
    When I came back from the states in March I would have brought all kinds of ammo..............if it had been available down there to purchase. It wasn't. Indeed, the ammo situation was worse there (Southern California) than here.

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    It is all dependant on the Airline you use and if switching airlines you need to check with all the different airlines you'll be traveling on. Some require separate packing from firearm, some do not. All require the ammo to be in an ammo approved container or factory packaging, but some may have tighter restrictions such as the wood/metal box. The ammount is based on TSA standards which is 11lbs. All firearms and ammo must be declared at check-in. I have traveled numerous times and only once did I have an issue where Delta pulled my baggage in Seattle and made me open up my bag; this occured during a transfer of flights after my bags had been checked in AK, but it was in the summer of 2002 when 9/11 heightened security was in place.
    Myth. TSA has no written limit on ammo carried, it leaves that up to the airline. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

The whole 11 pound thing comes from ICAO, the international air transport association, which is based in Canada. It came out in the early '80's (I believe, but may be wrong), that only 5 kilograms of ammo could be carried internationally. This was during the big animal worship spin-up that sought to hinder international big-game hunters in any way possible.

Amazing the sorts of things one finds on the internet.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    ERA is owned by Alaska Airlines, they have the same rules. You can go here to read them: http://www.flyera.com/passengerservi...e/faq#firearms
    I did not see anything about ammo/firearms being seperate. Important hint: the people behind the counter do not know the regs of the airlines they work for. You need to download and print them for just such an instance. It might keep you from missing a flight.

I did read your link, I agree that it does not say separate or together, pretty much just says approved container. What I do know is I was flat out denied boarding when I opened the rifle case for inspection and she saw the ammo in it's own separate case within the locked rifle case. A print out of policy wouldn't have helped me in this situation. ERA's policy doesn't clearly state yes or no in regards to being in the same locked case. Perhaps a manager would have let it slide, after all, the ERA flight to Kenai isn't even a secured flight.

I'm very familiar with the happens around the ticket counter. As of February this year I've been in the industry for 25 years. I've seen all kinds of crap that happens at many levels. I tried everything short of demanding to see her written policy. I also know that you don't get anywhere by arguing with a ticket counter employee. They write nasty stuff about you in the record and it follows you around the system.

The part about ERA being owned by Alaska, I don't think so.

http://www.adn.com/2009/02/17/693165...-aviation.html

ERA is a code share partner, something totally different. Fourteen other airlines share that distinction as well. This basically allows one airline to sell seats on other airlines for a percentage of the deal if the flight connects with one of their own. It allows passengers to acquire points for flying on any one of the participating airlines in the code share group. This leads to free travel within the group of airlines.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx

Alaska Airlines policy is clearly written and allows same case secure travel of ammo and firearm:

Ammunition

On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I just flew from LAX to ANC 2 weeks ago and just returned.
    Funny how both ends of the Alaska Air terminal treats you differently when you declare guns and ammo.

LAX: After declaring guns and ammo, the baggage check counter person would not allow me to open the gun box w/ ammo. They instead tell me that they may need to have it opened but to wait at the boarding area. After waiting thru the security scan, I got paged about 10 minutes later by Alaska Air supervisor & TSA. I go back out to the baggage check area and the supervisor asks to have the case opened which I do - with 3 other TSA security folks next all looking nervous. Showed them the guns were unloaded and the ammunition was in it's factory packaging (50rds 10mm Auto + 20rds 12ga slug shells). They said OK and sealed them back up. They asked if I can wait a couple of minutes to verify that the box was scanned by an explosives detection scanner. After a few minutes, the light turned green at the conveyor belt and was told all was good. I had to go wait thru the security line again to make it in time for my flight.

ANC: After declaring the guns and ammo, the ticket counter agent told me to go to the "oversized" baggage area for inspection. Right there, I took the gun box to them and was about to open it but she said I did not need to. She took some type of hand held device that looked like a toilet wand and rubbed it around the entire box then used another machine to "read" the scanner. She said it was clear to go on board. Super fast and got going in a few minutes. I like Alaska - they are cool with guns.

Figure that one !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast