Thread: Kicker Size...???

Default Kicker Size...???

Is there a rule of thumb as to how big a kicker motor you should use per size boat...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would be sure to get a High Thrust kicker. They are geared down to work at displacement speeds on larger boats. My boat is 30' and about 12,000 lbs. My kicker is a Yamaha 9.9HT. For trolling, I typically run 2kts and it is about 1/4 throttle. When I want to run 'fast' on the kicker, full throttle is around 4.5kts.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Unless you have the hp to break plane all kickers will push the boat at hull speed around 4-6knts.
    Buy a Yamaha 8 or 9.9hp high thrust.
    My boat is 24ft. I made the mistake of putting a 25hp as a kicker, It only pushed the boat about 6knts.
    When it finally wore out I replaced it with a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. It pushes my boat about 5knts.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I would be sure to get a High Thrust kicker. They are geared down to work at displacement speeds on larger boats. My boat is 30' and about 12,000 lbs. My kicker is a Yamaha 9.9HT. For trolling, I typically run 2kts and it is about 1/4 throttle. When I want to run 'fast' on the kicker, full throttle is around 4.5kts.
    What prop are you running on your 9.9? I have a 9.9 Suzuki with an almost flat 4 blade prop (10"x7p) that really pushes my boat around good. Top speed is around 4 knots but the thrust is great for staying off the rocks.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I had no idea you would use that small a kicker on those big boats.....

Thanks.....

The prop on my 9.9 is the stock high thrust prop from Yamaha it has 3 blades

As a boat addict... It used to be the case that before small fourstroke outboards were common, and gas was cheap, people would troll with their main motors. Honda started out with the first fourstroke in the 1970s about. Suzuki started things with their sailmaster twostrokes to be used on sailboats and the motors were oil-injected twostrokes with extra long shafts. Then in the 1980s Yamaha started making their high thrust models. From then on all the other brands now make trolling motors.

Skiff users in Southeast AK (and elsewhere) used smaller outboards 5-10hp as kicker motors to troll because the 25-50 wouldn't go slow enought to troll on (and the smaller ones were better on fuel) and put out less smoke.

The most important thing is to make sure the prop can clear the bottom of the hull. My family has a 15hp Yamaha High Thrust on our 31' Uniflite and it trolls forward ok, but because it doesn't stick down deep enough it really can't do reverse as the propwash hits the transom. We have a power lift mechanism to drop the motor too.

Here in Juneau there is a 32' Seasport Cat with a 60 Yamaha HT as a kicker. Most boats only need the 8 (or 9.9) to 15hp. 25 to 60 is pretty big.
    I am thinking about the etec 15 ho for my 23' Uniflite.

Most dealers say the 21' and smaller aluminum boats don't even need the highthrust models (but the customer always gets what they want).

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    What prop are you running on your 9.9? I have a 9.9 Suzuki with an almost flat 4 blade prop (10"x7p) that really pushes my boat around good. Top speed is around 4 knots but the thrust is great for staying off the rocks.

I don't even know what my prop is. It is the stock prop on the 9.9 HT Yamaha. I have never thought to change it or look, since it seems to work well for my boat.

Displacement speed is effected by hull length. The longer your boat is, the faster it can go at hull speed, and as others have said here, that is all you will get until you reach enough power to plane the hull.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Most dealers say the 21' and smaller aluminum boats don't even need the highthrust models (but the customer always gets what they want).

Sobie2
    I only have an 18' Bayrunner. Are the high thrust models a bit more spendy? From the sounds of it I can probably get away with a 8 or less....???

I don't know that high thrust kickers are more expensive, just different. They typically turn a prop at a slower speed, and are not designed to plane the boat. With an 18' boat I would say a 6 or 8 hp would be fine. I think the 8 and 9.9 HP Yamaha are the same basic motor. The 6hp motor may be lighter.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

If you go too small, like the 6hp and below, everything is smaller and will likely not take the torque of turning a heavy boat. I put my little 5hp off of the drift boat onto my buddies 19ft Thunder Jet. We used it and it felt like the thing was going to bend then break. The 8hp he has now is solid.

I second that. I have the Yamaha 8 hp high thrust on my 22 ft inboard. Works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I only have an 18' Bayrunner. Are the high thrust models a bit more spendy? From the sounds of it I can probably get away with a 8 or less....???
    Yamaha 2 cylinder 6hp-8hp fourstroke. Probably 500-1000 less than at smallest high thrust model. Daved is most likely taking about a single cylinder outboard. I too have a 5hp fourstroke that is a single cylinder and it is not something you want to spend the day sitting next to. My brother in law had a Yamaha 6hp two cylinder fourstroke non HT on his 18.5 northriver and that is a fantastic kicker.

Sobie2

I have an F9.9 Yama on my 21' Olympic. It's not a hi-thrust. Works fine, but ****, that motor is heavy. Nothing to be gained over an 8 HP. Hull speed is 4-5 mph and you don't need that much HP to push the boat at hull speed. 25# wt difference between the 9.9 and 8.0.

I just bought a high trust for my ospery. At Dewey's I paided 3299.00.. 9.9 HT tiller handle electric start.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I understand that most kickers, regardless of HP, will only get you up to hull speed. But when the wind is howling or the current is strong, will a 9.9 high thrust work as well as let's say an 18 HP kicker to move you along?

As others have said, it's more about the thrust and propeller combination than it is the horsepower since you are not trying to run on step. My 22 foot aluminum has a 15 hp Yamaha with a four blade prop (not high thrust, but it's what I had on my lund) and it does a great job, I think the biggest thing is to make sure you have a two piston model, the singles rattle pretty hard, even some of the two's do (my 15 definitely vibrates more than I'd like but it's paid for) so make sure it purrs like a kitten and anything from an 8 to 15 will work great.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I understand that most kickers, regardless of HP, will only get you up to hull speed. But when the wind is howling or the current is strong, will a 9.9 high thrust work as well as let's say an 18 HP kicker to move you along?
    In my case, if I can do 4.5kts and there is 2kts of current, then I will be doing 2.5kts. As far as wind, if I am throttled up, I can control the boat just fine in 20+ kts of wind. The bigger issue will be cavitation in big waves, which is an issue independent of the kicker HP.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

same as JR's..9.9 high thrust yamaha for 29' wooly!...clocked it once at approx 6.5 mph on a lake wide open!..yep, hits hull speed and wants to lift!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

yes you can only go hull speed so an 8 horse kicker is fine. that is the smallest anyone makes in two cylinder motors and is okay for most boats.
    but in heavy weather if you lose your main engine and are relying on your kicker to survive the smaller ones may not give you very much in the way of steerage in a heavy boat.