Thread: halibut fishing the tides?

Default halibut fishing the tides?

When is the best time to fish for halibut out of Seward, high tide, low tide, moving in /out?

Although I have fished through the whole tide, ideally I try to make sure I'm there to fish from 2 hours before the ebb to 2 hours after.......either high or low....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Gosh, last Monday we hit an 87 pounder at slack low which is what we had at 10 Am. As said, 2 hour b4 to 2 hours after works out fine.

The same plan, 2 hrs before to 2 hrs. after high/low, works in the Cook Inlet also. Just be aware that the book tide times in the CI are shore times. The middle times can be 2hrs or more later than book time. ie; if the incoming tide stops inshore it will still be ripping in 4 or 5 miles offshore. You then need to adjust the 2 hrs before to 2 hrs after to conform to the actual movement time. Not really confusing.
    Good luck fishing. Halibut are healthy this season but small and lots of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
    The same plan, 2 hrs before to 2 hrs. after high/low, works in the Cook Inlet also. Just be aware that the book tide times in the CI are shore times. The middle times can be 2hrs or more later than book time. ie; if the incoming tide stops inshore it will still be ripping in 4 or 5 miles offshore.
    Agreed.....and it's a good thing that you mentioned it. I have also observed that the actual ebb has been as much as 2 hours difference than the book shows on the beach.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!