Thread: Root maggots

Default Root maggots

What do you use to combat root maggots? I used to use diazinon, but that's now off the market. Last year I tried wood ashes with good success, but this year I've had maggots in the cabbage in spite of the wood ashes. I put some Reemay fabric over one row of cabbage, and so far it looks like most of the cabbages under it are doing OK, though I've lost a couple. What works for you??

Quote Originally Posted by FlyTaiya View Post
    What do you use to combat root maggots? I used to use diazinon, but that's now off the market. Last year I tried wood ashes with good success, but this year I've had maggots in the cabbage in spite of the wood ashes. I put some Reemay fabric over one row of cabbage, and so far it looks like most of the cabbages under it are doing OK, though I've lost a couple. What works for you??
    dont recall that we've ever had Root Maggots in the cabbages, but they used to really ruin a nice crop of onions for us and they were always a nuisance in the radishes and turnips. Every spring I go to Northern Garden supply in Wasilla and buy a little sponge full of nematodes ($21) and follow the directions. Mix up a 4 gallon batch and sprinkle it on all our root crops - no more root maggots..

Quote Originally Posted by FlyTaiya View Post
    We had issues with root maggots in our cole crops (brocc/cauli/cabbage) and onions for two yrs... we discovered sprinkling sevin dust on the cole crop roots before transplanting helped mitigate the maggots there. Onions was a different story. Lost many both years.

This year, so far anyway, no issues with the cole crops, but onion maggots have attacked with a vengeance. Much research has indicated wood ash, diatemaceous earth, covering plants early will help, but nothing in my research indicated what works to get rid of them after they've established themselves. Last week I tried a product made by Spectracide for killing a large variety of insects and bugs, which I had purchased to rid our yard of mosquitos. The container says it is safe to use on vegetable and fruit trees. It is available at Lowes.

I pulled out an affected onion and put a drop of the Spectracide on the root maggots, they died instantly. Now the onion beds have been thoroughly doused and I am hoping to see some recovery in the next few days.

I would prefer to NOT use chemicals, and next year will try covering the cole crops and onion beds to keep the flies off of them for the first month or so.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    dont recall that we've ever had Root Maggots in the cabbages, but they used to really ruin a nice crop of onions for us and they were always a nuisance in the radishes and turnips. Every spring I go to Northern Garden supply in Wasilla and buy a little sponge full of nematodes ($21) and follow the directions. Mix up a 4 gallon batch and sprinkle it on all our root crops - no more root maggots..
    I may try this next year! along with covering! LOL I hate them little beggars!!!!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I just pulled the Reemay fabric off of my cole crops. Most of them are in great shape, but I did lose a few, even under fabric. Next year it's nematodes as well as fabric, and maybe try that Spectracide if I need it.