Thread: Recomended line/rod weight for kings and halibut in SE

Default Recomended line/rod weight for kings and halibut in SE

I have unconfirmed reports of the requisite rod and line requirements for both kinds and halibut. Rods for kings should be of medium class 20-30lb class with a progressive action. Halibut rods should be stiff with a line rating of 80-100lb . Is this about right

Those are approximately "standards," but of course we add more. Don't miss out on the fun of using light tackle for halibut. We carry 12#, 16# and 20# class jigging rods for halibut for the pure fun. Also for king salmon we prefer jigging and mooching to trolling any time conditions allow, and for that we like longer rods than the standard 8'-9'. The most popular mooching rods on our boat are 10'6" Loomis conventional rods, only because we haven't added the 12'3" versions. They make a huge difference for mooching, and they're lots of fun for trolling as well.

12# ,16#,20# are we referring to breaking strain of line. wow that does sound like a lot of fun. And jigging for king salmon , I was not aware this was possible, sounds a lot of fun.

Here is a good link to what BrownBear is talking about regarding jigging/mooching kings.

JWL - that link didn't work, but I sure would be interested in reading or watching whatever it was.

I can't make the link work to check on it, but here (Salmon University) is a good one that I suspect JWL might be referencing. Am I right JWL? If not, I'd like to follow your link, too.

Hopefully this link works. If not, go to YouTube and query "Mooching for Salmon". The video is by polarbear2502. It's just the basics of mooching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYjnaHTP28

Thanks guys. Yeah I've seen polar bears video on youtube about mooching. Nice guy , and a true professional. Wow , its sure looks like an unbelievable method to fish. Particularly around the coast of POW island were the water is not that deep. Covers a lot of water. Thanks