Thread: What to do with a 30 cal Lilja barrel.

Default What to do with a 30 cal Lilja barrel.

I have a 30 cal light weight Lilja barrel. it is not reamed for a chamber yet. I have 2 30-06 rifles and a 300wsm. Not sure what to do with this barrel. It is made to go on a Savage rifle, with a barrel nut.
    Was paging thru the Hornady reloading manual. The 308 Norma Mag looked interesting.
    I would like to have a 308, but getting ammo/powder/brass/primers, is so difficult.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Pretty tough to feed a .308WIN right now.

I've been toying with the idea of a .300 H&H....long, slender tapered case with modern slow powder could yield great gains and it's among the smoothest feeding cartridge I've ever messed with in my friends M70. Realistically it's in the same performance box as your .300WSM....but that's not exactly a bad place to be.

A lightweight .300H&H with a slender 26" tube could be a real contender in the mountains with one of the newish long range bullets.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Pretty tough to feed a .308WIN right now.

I've been toying with the idea of a .300 H&H....long, slender tapered case with modern slow powder could yield great gains and it's among the smoothest feeding cartridge I've ever messed with in my friends M70. Realistically it's in the same performance box as your .300WSM....but that's not exactly a bad place to be.

A lightweight .300H&H with a slender 26" tube could be a real contender in the mountains with one of the newish long range bullets.
    Good call, with my mind running down similar paths to an entirely different destination. Probably sound like a funny choice for a Lilja barrel, so maybe I'd sub another, but I'd be sorely tempted to go with 30-40 Krag if I could address potential feeding issues with the case in the Savage. Make it a 20" or 22" barrel with a receiver sight. I'm headed that way because I have a 30-40 NRA sporter with a 22" barrel from the 1950's that I'm considering retiring. It's proven a delight for heavy bullets and close, quick work. Super bolts with super scopes are wonderful, but this little gun gets more exercise than any other for shooting fun. And if I can be pretty sure shots won't stretch past 150 or 200 yards, it's my first pick for moose and elk.

You didn't list the TWIST on your barrel, so I assume it's 1-10" .With 2 30-06's and a 300WSM you've pretty much got the mid-range calibers covered. So now it's just a matter of what you want to play with and the 308 is an interesting short action round to add to your battery. The ammo and components for the 308 won't be much harder than any other to find and are pretty well compatable with the rounds you currently have, all you should need is dies & cases; AND unprimed cases can be shipped from anywhere via the USPS priority mail. On the other end of the 30 caliber spectrum the 300 Win Mag is very popular and would let you launch the heavier 30 caliber bullets that don't fit well in a short action 300WSM without the case capacity reduction.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

WHY is a .308 so particularly difficult to feed "right now" ? the only specific is brass and although somewhat tedious to locate I just bought 100 new Lapua cases and I really like them - If you use ball powder you can even get away with magnum primers a lightweight Savage .308 with a Lilja pipe should be a most capable rifle - a Lilja barreled Krag ? not so much IMO

300 H&H. Go old school and shoot 220 grain boat tail bullets.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Nice problem to have, sir...Dan Lilja makes a fine barrel for sure (I've got several and they are great). Given what you already have, I'd be scratching my head as well.

Do I go mainstream with this fine barrel (308win) and pretty much duplicate my 06's? No, that doesn't sound interesting to me.

Do I go the road less traveled and have it reamed for the 300H&H. That is more interesting to me.

Do I go even more off the mainstream path and ream it for the 30-378WBY Mag. Now that sounds real interesting...if I were a long range shooter, I'd get real interested in a 168grnTSX moving at 3400fps at the muzzle.

Heck, I don't know. Sell it to somebody, and use the money to buy a Lilja in 257, and then for sure ream that to a 257WBY. I really like mine.

You've got to tell us what you finally decide.

300 h & H with 240 grain woodeleigh bullets.........you'd be a happy hunter.