Thread: Sourdough to Gulkana Bridge

Default Sourdough to Gulkana Bridge

Rafted and fished some of my Military co-workers from Sourdough to the Bridge. The water was high and muddy. No sign of any fish. Very hot and windy. Few places to camp. The RV Campground hole is gone, filled with mud and logs. The hole a couple of turns down looks good and improved. From the RV Campground to the bridge seems to be Class 2 water to me. Very fast and you have to pay attention. I have fished this river since the late 80's and it has changed. Down from Sailors Pit there are 300 yards of small waterfalls where the river is trying to change its course. Nasty little logjam at the bridge. As usual, the AHTNA Corp has done no improvements to its property. Cannot locate Poplar Grove launch from the water.

P.S. Can I be Honorary AHTNA CORP CEO. Will work for nothing. Will help you develop your land and make a few shekels. Start with tearing down all the ugly brown signs every 30 yards on the river.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

AHTNA doesn't want you on their land why would they make any improvements? They made land selections to keep you from being abble to access state land except for a few easments. State was foolish to allow this.

Agreed. Just fantasizing about how much I could improve things and help them make some coin. They are in business to make money I thought.
    Mildly amused that the RV Campground website acts like the fishing is still on.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I rafted the upper Gulkana from Paxson to Sourdough last week.. Fishing was excellent up there...

same issues with high water but it was clear and cold. the high banks pushed the river right up against the trees and bushes making large sections great habitat for Greyling and Trout.

Fished at the confluence of mid-fork and mainstem and had goodluck with Greyling and Rainbows, most were bigger than usual. fished just upstream of the canyon rapids and also did very well.

the further downstream we went the more the conditions deteriorated, and fishing from the boat while floating was useless.