Thread: New to Bow Hunting

Default New to Bow Hunting

So a friend of mine just gave me an old Mathews MQ32 because he doesn't hunt anymore. I know the draw length is too long for me currently but not really sure what else I need to look at changing on it, if anything. Also, From my understanding I'm going to have to change a cam to change length. Any one have experience or advice on this bow? Is it worth putting money into or should I start elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmill View Post
    So a friend of mine just gave me an old Mathews MQ32 because he doesn't hunt anymore. I know the draw length is too long for me currently but not really sure what else I need to look at changing on it, if anything. Also, From my understanding I'm going to have to change a cam to change length. Any one have experience or advice on this bow? Is it worth putting money into or should I start elsewhere?
    I would take it to Sportsman's or an archery shop and let them measure you and tell you if the bow can even be modified for you.

If your draw lengths are too big a difference you might have to get your own bow that is setup for a range that covers your draw length.

Kind of depends. A used cam can be had for 50-100$ and new Mathews equipped can go over 1k... Where do you live, I would be happy to look at it for you and give you some advice...

Not sure where you are located, but in the Valley I have had Screaming Eagle change out my Mathew's Cams...simple and fairly quick. The MQ32 IMHO is an excellent bow to "learn" with and will do well hunting too. You won't beat the price if you got it for free :-) Arrow rest, sights, and stabilizers tend to get very personal, so I would use what is on there until you have some experience and they decide if you want to change it out. Most important, have fun. Try to shoot a dozen arrows daily, regardless of weather...the worse it is outside, the more important it is to shoot a few times!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks guys. I live on Elmendorf AFB. Would it be better to take it into Sportsmans or Full Curl to have them measure my draw and change cams?

Rather be Flying but I'm using Tapatalk

Take it to Full Curl - they're super knowledgable and helpful.

Thanks guys. I live on Elmendorf AFB. Would it be better to take it into Sportsmans or Full Curl to have them measure my draw and change cams?
    Full Curl is a specialty shop...Sportsman is a warehouse with pot luck on who is behind the counter...I prefer the specialty every time. FC are the pros IMHO.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Nice way of putting Roger. Thanks guys. Guess I'm headed to Full Curl today.

I second Full Curl for Matthews service and they are a Matthews Dealer. Sportsman's doesn't sell Matthews and probably can't get cams. The MQ32 was my first Matthews Bow and sold me on Matthews for quality. I don't shoot anything else anymore. There's a good reason their moto os "catch us if you can". they are the leader in bow technology.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Nice way of putting Roger. Thanks guys. Guess I'm headed to Full Curl today.

How did your trip to FC go? Were you able to make the bow work for you?

Had to place a cam on order. It will be about a week or so before it gets in. Other than that it looks like the now should be ready to run when the cam is installed.

That will be a nice first bow. I still have the z-max Mathews bow that my grandfather gave me that he bought in 96. That bow is just as fast as my new helim Mathews.

If you want to know more about the bow you have here is a link.
    http://mathewsinc.com/product/mq32/?...=desktop#specs

Happy bow hunting out there!