Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willow creek

Default Willow creek

Anyone been down to the mouth from the parks recently? Or heading out this weekend? What are conditions like?

Ill be floating it a few times this weekend including super early tomorrow. Ill post a report here tomorrow afternoon.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I was there last Sunday and the river was very high. I would think it may have come down some by now... good luck... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

There is half the volume of water in the creek today then there was last sunday.

You going for kings? Have fun. Thanks.

Going for rainbows. No king C&R for me until (if?) abundance increases.

Lots of wood in the river. If your floating in anything bigger than a mini cat bring a saw or plan to portage a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Lots of wood in the river. If your floating in anything bigger than a mini cat bring a saw or plan to portage a lot.
    What part of the river are you implying? Both above and below the Parks?

Below the parks highway.

Per the OP.

Floated from Sherlie Town to the highway yesterday. What a mess. Makes the lower seem like a cakewalk. Serious cabin debris and log/tree carnage. There are new channels and 7-8 river wide sweepers/jams. Many portages even in mini cats. Scouting every blind corner is essential.

We floated yesterday down to the highway (13 ft otter) and thankfully the helmsman knows the river well! Never seen so much debris- you could salvage enough lumber and plumbing to build a cabin! FYI we cut the top off the tree that was laying across the river so there is room to narrowly float over the right side/bank. With that out of the way we did not have to portage at all- but it was close in a couple of spots.

Where did you put in? Sherlie Town or Deneki?

We had permission to launch of off Friday road. We did the lower 2 weeks ago and it was sure nice to see that the water had cleared up. People may get into trouble with the new channels and some that appear to be channels that aren't complete! It was really amazing to see the changes in the upper/lower from the flooding, but the upper was crazy with all the lumber and stuff. There are shallows where there used to be pools and that one really house that used to have a lagoon in front with very manicured landscaping isn't even on the water anymore. Well piping sticking out of the river in another section, toilet on a gravel bar, pickup bed and axle, etc...- just amazing. It was a great float though- and we caught some nice rainbows (12 plus 2 grayling)- the longest was 19 inches with 3 others at 18. The fish seem to be hiding from the heat and were in fast water under structures (and I mean under- not close)! I would strongly advise anyone heading out to heed your previous warnings, take a good handsaw, some mosquito repellent, and wear a life jacket- if you get dumped with these log jams it is going to be ugly!

The river is even worse above Friday road. 3-4 spots with river wide hazards. If you fall in, even wearing a pfd, you are in trouble. Its not so much the logs and strainers, its all the debris; much of it has nails and screws sticking out in all directions. I would not recommend anyone attempt running the Willow from Sherlie town to the highway unless you are a class 3 oarsman, really conservative, and willing to portage several times. Scout EVERY bend, keep your eyes downstream, don't venture out alone, and bring deet. The mosquitoes are atrocious and the fishing ain't bad

Hey all,

Was hoping to float from the parks down to the su. The proprietor of the Willow creek resort said that folks have been doing fine floating this section of the river. Was wondering if anyone here has any detailed info. I've floated this stretch many times but not yet this year. I had planned to scout it out without the family but time and other things have conspired against me in this endeavor and the nice weather has me itching to float this weekend with the family. What do y'all think?

Thanks,
    Dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

We did the float on the 15th with one minor issue. There was a section which 2 boats made it no problem with a little extra paddling. The third was stuck on a log but he paddled out since the current was slow. He was new to boating and maybe had a beer or two. We floated to the right of the normal big log jam with no issues.

If you know where the side channel is, you can float right to the take out which was really nice. Even with 14' SB. All in all I would still recommend it even to newer boaters.

Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    Hey all,

Was hoping to float from the parks down to the su. The proprietor of the Willow creek resort said that folks have been doing fine floating this section of the river. Was wondering if anyone here has any detailed info. I've floated this stretch many times but not yet this year. I had planned to scout it out without the family but time and other things have conspired against me in this endeavor and the nice weather has me itching to float this weekend with the family. What do y'all think?

Thanks,
    Dodger
    I floated it last weekend, it is narrow and full of wood, but we had no problems in a 15 foot raft. Pay attention and scout the narrow areas and you should be fine.

My opinion-- You guys need to sit on it on most rivers until the water comes down and things slow down!! Still a lot of summer left!
    Tried to run a high water trip on the NAVAU river in Fiji after a hurricane and almost was gone trying to rescue a client. FUNNY-WATER is what we call High water in Australia--Besides the new logs ect. the current changes every few inches deep.
    Be safe and SCOUT!! For some reason I am still here having too many learn as you go trips.
    Have FUN and be safe especially with children.
    Goo

Thanks for the beta guys. The info on the side channel is especially useful. Thanks again and I will report back if/when we go this weekend

Dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast