Thread: Klutina water levels?

Default Klutina water levels?

With the copper at flood stage does anyone know what the klutina is looking like? We are heading down tomorrow hopefully the river isn't too high and we can get some fishing in. I know there is a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow that certainly won't help the water levels if there is any significant amount of rain.

Was past it couple times yest. Didn't look hi to me. Still pretty dirty but I did hear of a few reds caught but not great yet by any means. Weather calls for more sun like today. Maybe the clouds will build from the heat, maybe not. If it does it should be 'local' for the most part and probably ( I said probably) not a factor. Good luck!

Would appreciate a report if you end up going. I've never fished the Klutina, but we're considering a family camping trip out that way Mon-Wednesday of next week.

We are going for sure just need to get out of the house . The klutina salmon charters Facebook page shows people getting limits about everyday this week. They said sometimes it has taken all day but people are limiting mostly near the Mouth but also from the camp ground. We will be across the river @ king for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    We are going for sure just need to get out of the house . The klutina salmon charters Facebook page shows people getting limits about everyday this week. They said sometimes it has taken all day but people are limiting mostly near the Mouth but also from the camp ground. We will be across the river @ king for a day.
    I'm in the area and that's kinda what I'm hearing... The mouth area doing much better than up river. I know some folks that live near the mouth. I'll ask some questions tomorrow.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Would appreciate a report if you end up going. I've never fished the Klutina, but we're considering a family camping trip out that way Mon-Wednesday of next week.
    Wish you luck Brian...the ways things look right now, you may just catch the big push of fish at/near its peak. It has certainly yet to arrive as of now, but there ARE fish to be caught for the extremely patient.
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Just returned, river is running just below minor flood stage according to NOAA. It is also very muddy with lots of organics washing down.

Just came from Klutina bridge. Only 2 guys fishing there. Talked to the one guy who said he had been fishing for about 2 hrs and had no luck as of yet. Other guy was not seen to catch either. Didn't get a chance to pick many brains today. Sorry. Water definitely muddy yet. Not to dispute Alcan Ron's statement but it sure doesn't look overly high water to me. Fish wheels in Copper are only picking up a dozen fish or so a nite from what I heard.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Not to dispute Alcan Ron's statement but it sure doesn't look overly high water to me...
    Are you sure you were at the Klutina and not the Tonsina? The Klutina river is definitely near flood stage. Just came back from there and it is at least 3-4 feet above last year. The owner of Groves flew up the Klutina river to see what is causing all the flooding. From the air he could see the cause is the glacier melting as the lake which normally has a blueish-green hue to it is now an ugly brown.

Most of the fishing holes that were good producers in the past are completely blown out. There are no longer any places to land a fish in these spots without a net as there is no more bank to pull a fish up on. This is only the third year I have fished the river but compared to the past two years, the river is without a doubt extremely high at present.

Just left there yesterday afternoon and it is a disaster--flooding, with whole trees washing down and muddy. Saw a few fish caught and you might pick up fish after a whole day of fishing, if you are very lucky.