Thread: Unknown lake just north of Capitol Speedway off Parks Hwy - looking for pike.....

Default Unknown lake just north of Capitol Speedway off Parks Hwy - looking for pike.....

I have been fishing the lakes off Willow drainage lakes (Crystal, Willow, Long, Shirley) here in the Willow area and haven't had any luck with pike or trout.

While driving back from Denali last night, I saw an unknown lake just off the west side of the Parks Highway - north of the Capitol Speedway exit - I saw a pull out off the highway that has parking spaces which were empty - it a lake that has lots of weeds and those floating lily pads.

Can any one tell me if that is Kashwitna lake ?
    Anyone fished that body of water for pike or any other species ??

Yes, that is Kashwitna Lake. It has no pike that I know of, at least I have never seen one or heard of one there. Was stocked for rainbows at one time, but some of the locals used it as a personal fishery and really decimated it. There are still bows in it but not as good as it once was, IMO. The south end is shallow and weedy, any fishing to be had is on the north end. Since it is halfway between Wasilla and Talkeetna, I've heard Talkeetnans refer to it as "p!ss lake" due to the pullout being conveniently located for a pit stop. That alone has kept me from swimming in it, LOL...