Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Resident Black Bear on Kenai Peninsula

Default Non-Resident Black Bear on Kenai Peninsula

Hi guys. I did some searching both here and on the the www and can't really find a definite answer to my question. I can't seem to find anything besides the cost of the tag.

My questions are, Is there a season? Which areas are open to harvest?

We come up to the peninsula fishing for a couple of weeks in August each year and I am wondering if I could possibly incorporate a black bear hunt into the trip.

Thanks in advance for any input!

No CLOSED Season..........ONE Black Bear per year for NON-residents, in units 7 and 15

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    No CLOSED Season..........ONE Black Bear per year for NON-residents, in units 7 and 15
    Thank you. Where might I find information about closed harvest areas, legal hunting methods, ect?

We are always in the boat, either on one of the rivers or on the salt water. Can I just keep a rifle with me and take a black bear if the opportunity presents while we are fishing?

Thanks for the links. I did find some of that info but couldn't find what I was looking for regarding seasons and legal harvest methods. I guess the season thing is because there isn't one. I'll read through the links to see what it says about hunting from boat, etc.

The regulations are bit difficult for me to understand fully.

If I understand correctly, one would be allowed to take up to 3 black bears anywhere along the Kenai river below Skilak lake and anywhere along the road system North of Kasilof, aside from Skilak Loop road which is closed completely. One bear pretty much everywhere South of Kasilof. Does this sound right?

The regs aren't too bad once you figure out how they are laid out.

This is based on last years regs as I don't have a copy of the new ones yet but I doubt it changed much if at all.

Unit 7 is 3 bears for both residents and non residents. Except south of the seward city limits. There is also the russian river closed area.

Unit 15 is also 3 bears except the area south of bradley river in 15C which is one bear for non residents, plus a few other special areas that are not open for harvest.

ADFG has maps, with boundaries, broken down by species for all the individual areas within a GMU.

Good luck!

What is law regarding hunting from a boat? I assume that we can shoot right from the boat as long as it is not under way (motoring)?

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    What is law regarding hunting from a boat? I assume that we can shoot right from the boat as long as it is not under way (motoring)?
    Page 18 of the regs covers that. Motor has to be off and progress from the motors power must have stopped. (There are areas where it's illegal to shoot from a boat so know where you're at!)

Also don't take my advice (or anyone elses on here) without looking it up for yourself and confirming that you are legal!

Be aware that if you kill a black bear along a salmon stream that its meat will likely be nearly inedible. Bears in the mountains that feed primarily on berries and other plants taste excellent, but fish-eating bears aren't known for quality meat. If you're just after the hide, though, hunting river corridors can certainly be productive.

By all means ask questions, but if it were me, I'd read the regs then ask the questions.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for the tip. Is it that the bears along the rivers spend their lives eating salmon or is it just that the meat gets funky just from eating a few fish? If we are there in mid-August of a non-humpy year I would think that the bears wouldn't have had much opportunity to eat fish?

KenaiKeys - are you looking for someone to locate, shoot, skin, and pack it for you too? A good hunter does his/her own research. A few questions are fine, but you are over the top! Read the regs and if you don't understand them, go the the source (F&G), not a forum.

Thanks for the tip. Is it that the bears along the rivers spend their lives eating salmon or is it just that the meat gets funky just from eating a few fish? If we are there in mid-August of a non-humpy year I would think that the bears wouldn't have had much opportunity to eat fish?
    Carcasses start piling up from the sockeye fishery by mid-June, so by August a bear could have been eating fish for two months. I've not personally eaten a fish bear, as I've heeded the warnings of many who have done so, and all say they are terrible. If you're here for two weeks and want to take a bear, I'd set aside 1-3 days for some alpine hiking. Shoot a bear up in the alpine and you've got a good chance at some excellent quality meat. We've been enjoying the bacon and burger from my wife's fall black bear immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by VilasBowhunter View Post
    KenaiKeys - are you looking for someone to locate, shoot, skin, and pack it for you too? A good hunter does his/her own research. A few questions are fine, but you are over the top! Read the regs and if you don't understand them, go the the source (F&G), not a forum.
    I hardly think that asking questions about regulations or what affects the quality of a bears meat is "over the top!" I'm not asking for your secret hunting spot.

I am fully aware of what a good hunter does, I have humanely killed and processed many hundreds of animals from deer to alligators. If you don't have anything constructive to add to my thread then do us a both a favor and stay out of it.

Taking a bear from the hills is the only way to go unless its spring hunt.

Fish bears are just nasty. Skinning em isn't fun.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thank you for the advice guys, I will make note and not bother with the river bottom bears. We'll get some exercise and go see some high country!

My standard response, it's "sheep hunting for bears." I've tried and failed several times. Better be in shape is all I can tell you. No doubt you might stumble on one down low; I did - in the Skilak Lake no hunting area. The others are waaaay up there. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Carcasses start piling up from the sockeye fishery by mid-June, so by August a bear could have been eating fish for two months. I've not personally eaten a fish bear, as I've heeded the warnings of many who have done so, and all say they are terrible. If you're here for two weeks and want to take a bear, I'd set aside 1-3 days for some alpine hiking. Shoot a bear up in the alpine and you've got a good chance at some excellent quality meat. We've been enjoying the bacon and burger from my wife's fall black bear immensely.

I have had meat from three salmon bears off the KP, all were most excellent! Huntak59 killed a berry bear, it was inedible! Cause it was hitting 6mile creek and eating pinks!! But he shot it on the top of a mtn off the hope road 2 years ago sept. Best way to tell is if the meat stinks, don't take it out of the field. If no smell, take it! My theory on the KP is of they are on the Reds, the meat is not as affected, plus plenty of berries, most scat is filled with berry seeds along the rivers! So the combo I beleive makes for good meat! Otherwise we wouldn't target them down there! A PWS fall bear I shot, only one ever, it was nasty! Smelled so bad I didn't even dig the bullet out of the shoulder!! Still wish I woulda tho!!! We all have our opinions, but I base mine off my own nose and experience. I listen to others, but doesn't mean I follow them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast