Thread: Ressurection pass

Default Ressurection pass

Me and a couple buddies are gonna bike this trail soon, all the way through. This pretty reasonable in one day?? Going from hope to cooper landing

That would be one heck of a one-day hike. You do realize that it is almost 39 miles across with about 2,400 feet of climbing, don't you? Biking it in one day is reasonable. I wouldn't be all too interested in doing that distance on foot in a single day. Most break it into at least a 2 day hike, and more frequently a 3 day trip.

Or you could bike it in a day

Here is a map and elevation map, if you guys are in good shape 1 day is no biggie but there is no way I could do it...
    http://www.respassultras.org/trail-maps-1

There are a bunch of switchbacks between Swan Lake and the pass. It's a slow grind up and hard to keep much speed going down, especially if there are other folks on the trail. Parts of it were simpler to just walk my bike than repeatedly get on and off.

Please take it easy on the soft spots; bikes have really torn muddy sections of that trail up, makes it hard on the hikers.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    That would be one heck of a one-day hike. You do realize that it is almost 39 miles across with about 2,400 feet of climbing, don't you? Biking it in one day is reasonable. I wouldn't be all too interested in doing that distance on foot in a single day. Most break it into at least a 2 day hike, and more frequently a 3 day trip.
    You do realize that there is a 100 mile "FOOT" race (Yearly) starts from the very back of Palmer Creek through Resurrection Pass to Cooper Landing and back to the starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    You do realize that there is a 100 mile "FOOT" race (Yearly) starts from the very back of Palmer Creek through Resurrection Pass to Cooper Landing and back to the starting point.
    Yes, I am. I race cross country running, mountain biking, etc... I know many of those who do the ultra races. Those are not people out for a day-hike though. They train for it. They are running, not hiking, a vast majority of it. They still take 24+hours at a continuous fast pace. HUGE difference from someone looking for a day hike. I am not saying it isn't doable, just that it is a long trip to do on foot for someone looking for a hike.

As long as you're not shaped like a donut hole, go for it. Prepare for a long day, bring plenty of food and water. It's not too bad of a 1-day ride. (Heck, one time I rode my bike the first 1/4 mile until it got too muddy, then carried the thing the majority of the way to the pass and rode out the back side. Don't remember how long it took us, but it wasn't anything too crazy...awesome to have our brides waiting with pizza and beer at the other end!)

I've done it twice. Once from the Cooper Landing side and once from the Hope side. Hope is definitely better, it's more of a gradual climb and I thought it was easier than the Cooper Landing side. I bike a moderate amount and did the whole thing in about 8 hours, that's with stopping at the A-frame for lunch.

I should appologize. I completely misread the OP. I could have sworn they were going to HIKE the trail in one day. Somehow I completely misread that they were looking to "BIKE" it. Could be since it was posted in the hiking forum rather than the mountain biking forum. My mind probably just filled in what I was expecting to read.

Definitely doable on a bike in one day.

I have done it twice on my bike. It took about 8 hours with stops at creeks to refill water bottles. Either take a water filter or tablets to treat the water and bring powdered gatoraide to reduce the iodine taste. As was previously mentioned the ride from the Hope side is more gradual than the CL side.