Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What camera

Default What camera

Seems technology changes the game daily so just curious what cameras you are throwing in your pack now a days. Curious about battery type and life of course. I like haven't everything take the same batteries so are there any good packable cameras out there that still take AA

These days I usually just take my iPhone, but have an older Cannon powershot. I'm looking into getting one of the shock proof Nikon's though, I think it would hold up better to the rigors of a sheep hunt.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Check out http://www.dpreview.com and use their "camera feature search" tool. You can search by a whole bunch of features, including AA batteries and year of announcement (to pick a recent model that's still for sale somewhere).

I'm using a Nikon P7700. It doesn't use AAs and it's not weatherproof so I have to be more careful with it, but it takes great pictures.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Well, it isn't the most packable but I have a Pentax K-30 DSLR with a weather resistant lens and the AA adapter. Being a DSLR it takes up space but I have the Capture Camera Clip which allows me to carry it attached to the front of my pack strap or on my belt so I can save pack space and have it quickly available. The camera itself is "weather resistant" so it will hold up to most anything aside from submersion. The AA adapter takes four batteries and is quite handy as I always have some Eneloops ready to go for it.

Attachment 71610Attachment 71611

Nikon AW100 weatherproof camera. I've drug it all over the place it seems to still be unfazed. Only thing I'm not wild about is no lens cover, however it comes with a filter adapter that I cut down and taped over - works ok to keep dust and debris out. Lithium Ion battery. Battery life is great - as long as you don't scroll through your pictures back in the tent. One battery lasted 8 days in the brooks, 6 days on an Etolin elk hunt, and I took hundreds of photos each time. Also, I never have the GPS feature on as that chews through battery life. If I had been successful sheep hunting I was going to turn it on for evidence of being outside the corridor (walk out hunt). Probably better units out now, those Olympus tough units with the real lens capability look cool, but it has done well for me.

Believe it or not, years ago I bought a Pentax mainly with sheep hunting in mind.....it actually fit into an Altoids can. It was an Optio S. Not AA but for a long time the rechargable lithium battery would last a long time. For what it was it took pretty darn good pics.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have a casio elim I think that is now out of production but it is waterproof shockproof etc and has held up to me beating the heck out of it for the past 3 years. Uses a rechargeable lithium battery that last a long time in normal weather but goes a little faster in cold weather.

Canon G-15
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

No "true hunter" goes in to the field without his smart phone, these days!! I can see you might need a back up tho. Anything that will fit in a shirt pocket would be my recommendation.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    No "true hunter" goes in to the field without his smart phone, these days!! I can see you might need a back up tho. Anything that will fit in a shirt pocket would be my recommendation.
    Well dang it, I don't even own one let alone hunt with one...guess I need to get with the times

I don't own one either, Lanche! Course..........most here know I never have been in the "true hunter" club!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I don't own one either, Lanche! Course..........most here know I never have been in the "true hunter" club!
    Hell I got you both beat. I just pulled an Olympus out of my gear bag and it is not even close to smart... It a 35 mm film camera. And looks like most of the pics were taken.. Does anyone even develop film anymore, I would like to know what the pics are of..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Hell I got you both beat. I just pulled an Olympus out of my gear bag and it is not even close to smart... It a 35 mm film camera. And looks like most of the pics were taken.. Does anyone even develop film anymore, I would like to know what the pics are of..
    As far as I know you still can get 35mm film developed. Try the camera dept at Freddy's? I still have a full sized Pentax Spotmatic that is probably close to 70 years old now if not older. Believe it or not I lugged that da*n thing up the hill sheep hunting one year......or was it twice?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I bought an Olympus stylus 1030SW...waterproof to 10 meters, (taken pictures under the boat to look for damage) shockproof, and is point and shoot with 10.1 pixel lens and will do movies...was about 300 bucks 6 years ago...has been bullet proof on hunting, snow machine, rafting, flying and motorcycling and ATV...The size of a pack of cigarettes...buy and extra battery and keep it in an inside pocket in cold winter months...Its my "go to" camera just have not figured out how to attach it to my spotter...

You ask about battery life...my experience is a smart phone goes dead in a day, but my newer digital cameras will take 500 to 1000 shots easily on one charge. Two types of camera I have, Point'n'Shoot and digtal SLR. PnS advantage is they fit in your shirt pocket and you can get great zoom...downside is they do not take action photos very well (they are slow). Digtal SLR are bigger, heavier, but much faster and lenses are numerous. I usually take both with me. Both now frequently take video too, and I find my PnS does a great job on video. Either way, just make sure you upgrade your media card, most do fine with 4MG, but I take three 32MG.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    Nikon AW100 weatherproof camera. I've drug it all over the place it seems to still be unfazed. Only thing I'm not wild about is no lens cover, however it comes with a filter adapter that I cut down and taped over - works ok to keep dust and debris out. Lithium Ion battery. Battery life is great - as long as you don't scroll through your pictures back in the tent. One battery lasted 8 days in the brooks, 6 days on an Etolin elk hunt, and I took hundreds of photos each time. Also, I never have the GPS feature on as that chews through battery life. If I had been successful sheep hunting I was going to turn it on for evidence of being outside the corridor (walk out hunt). Probably better units out now, those Olympus tough units with the real lens capability look cool, but it has done well for me.
    Same here. Used one for a year, and it is about as tough as an old stilson wrench while giving great photos. About the size of a cassette tape (remember those?) or a deck of cards. Okay, more modern reference, about the size of a smart phone. Great zoom and great photos. Best of all is the built in GPS. Nice backup for my Garmin. Really credible videos, too.

Side note- I thought I'd lost it, which would be easy to do since it's so small. Immediately went to buy a replacement, and found they're making a AW110 now with even more features. Bought it, love it, then found my original AW100. My wife grabbed the 100 from my hands so fast she nearly took skin. It's HERS now, and she wanted it rather than buying anything else.

I have been using the Olympus waterproof/shockproof for three years and have found no flaws in it what so ever. Filmed half of HI with it, dunked in in the Gulkana shot some great underwater fish pics, and heck even mounted it to a bike helmet and filmed white water kayaking with it. Great bang for the buck. Sams Club purchase. That being said it is not the Nikon however it also does not the associated cost of the Nikon. My brother just purchased the update Oly and loves it. As previously stated purchase an extra battery helps when shooting extended video :-)

Just food for thought.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    You ask about battery life...my experience is a smart phone goes dead in a day, but my newer digital cameras will take 500 to 1000 shots easily on one charge.
    I took my smart phone last year, taking it and 2-3 batteries this year. Even with the extra weight of those batteries it takes great photos, has gps with topo maps, alarm clock, bible, etc. Last year my only battery was low on day 5, and I probably only took 45 or 50 photos, but I used it as a gps, etc.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I love my Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 I bought a few yrs ago at Costco in Anc, it is freezeproof(sort of), waterproof and shock proof, I have tested all of those features and it has stood the test. They sell them in a bubble pack with a case pretty cheap. Get you one and you wont regret it.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Same here. Used one for a year, and it is about as tough as an old stilson wrench while giving great photos. About the size of a cassette tape (remember those?) or a deck of cards. Okay, more modern reference, about the size of a smart phone. Great zoom and great photos. Best of all is the built in GPS. Nice backup for my Garmin. Really credible videos, too.
    That's what I use, as well. Takes a beating, and the battery life is surprisingly good.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast