Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Lost kayak: Moose Creek, maybe Matanuska by now

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default Lost kayak: Moose Creek, maybe Matanuska by now

    John and I had a great run down Moose, which went south 200 yards from the take out for the upper section. A new riverwide sweeper took me out in a narrow channel with no eddies, tried to hold old yellow but it slipped out of my hands and away it went.
    Anyway it's a beat up yellow Jackson Mega Rocker.
    As far as the run, awesome... mass waves and holes at the high levels, however best to steer clear until the water drops, then we can clear the rest of the wood.
    Cheers, Mark

  2. #2
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Glad you're still with us...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default The creek

    Was not life threatening, at least that part, no seriously alittle scary because of logjams on the corners from the flood last year, and the water is moving as fast as a track star can run, so reaction time is minimal. All in all the creeks pretty clean, this NEW 4 inch strainer did the job though, just as I was about to hoop and holler and give myself a pat on the back for a nice clean run at high water. It was smokin too, however, the scary part was keepiong the water out of our eyes, so we could see. We also found a new hole that slapped both of us across the creek then spit us out like a wad of chew.
    It's funny though, I only remember it being fun.

    Called Search and Rescue and forewarned them about the lost boat. If it's reported by someone else, they have to search for like 20 hours, at the expense of taxpayers, so always remember to do that if your ever in a similar situation.

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    As often as I see these posts I wonder if it would be worthwhile to keep a spot device taped into the boat

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Douglas Island
    Posts
    248

    Default

    We have free "If Found" stickers; get one (or more!) from your local Coast Guard Auxiliary or contact me and I'll send them to you. We often get calls about lost boats and if we find a boat without anyone aboard, we often start a search (depending on the circumstances), so these stickers can save a ton of work/money for those boats that aren't required to be state registered. Thanks!

    Mike Folkerts
    Boating Safety Specialist
    Seventeeth Coast Guard District
    United States Coast Guard
    (907) 463-2297
    michael.r.folkerts@uscg.milAttachment 71707

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default Possible find

    I think my kayak has been spotted on the Mat. behind Palmer about a mile from the Glenn bridge. Not sure how to get it though, if it is there afterall, I don't have a raft to haul it in anymore and am not interested in taking my packraft through that section to float down to it either and stuff PR into kayak. Not where I wanted to find it. Anyway...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default Maybe not

    John took a look for me and said he did not see it from any lookouts.

    This year we have lost a paddle, a boat, had spine xrays, and tore a hamstring which turned purple, all from little Moose Creek. The suffering and shame is unbearable! (lol)
    On a serious note, there are 4 nice paddles somewhere in there, that I know of. Water came down alot, so time to look below the crime scene, which is pretty easy minus wood.

  8. #8
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Hope you find it Mark, and we'll try not to further damage John on the Alagnak next week.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default If you find my kayak

    Do not return it for at least 10 days, that is when my new Stomper will be in. I told my wife my kayak was lost and have been wandering around, looking lost, like a boy who lost his puppy, so she ordered my new boat. Anyway, a good boy scout could ruin someone's summer. (lol)

  10. #10
    Member Heg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    I think my kayak has been spotted on the Mat. behind Palmer about a mile from the Glenn bridge. Not sure how to get it though, if it is there afterall, I don't have a raft to haul it in anymore and am not interested in taking my packraft through that section to float down to it either and stuff PR into kayak. Not where I wanted to find it. Anyway...
    Hey Mark, I'll be around early next week if you want to go on a salvage mission with my raft or cat.

    -Josh

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    We have free "If Found" stickers; get one (or more!) from your local Coast Guard Auxiliary or contact me and I'll send them to you. We often get calls about lost boats and if we find a boat without anyone aboard, we often start a search (depending on the circumstances), so these stickers can save a ton of work/money for those boats that aren't required to be state registered. Thanks!

    Mike Folkerts
    Boating Safety Specialist
    Seventeeth Coast Guard District
    United States Coast Guard
    (907) 463-2297
    michael.r.folkerts@uscg.milAttachment 71707
    Mike, I'd love to have one of these for my inflatable kayak. Is there a place in Anchorage I could pick one up? Or would you be able to mail me one? If so, let me know and I will PM you my address. I don't go on any white water or rivers at the time (just lakes for now) but might in the future. ~Amanda

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Douglas Island
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
    Mike, I'd love to have one of these for my inflatable kayak. Is there a place in Anchorage I could pick one up? Or would you be able to mail me one? If so, let me know and I will PM you my address. I don't go on any white water or rivers at the time (just lakes for now) but might in the future. ~Amanda
    Amanda: You can PM me with your mailing address or call at (907) 463-2297 and I'd be happy to get one in the mail to you! Mike

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default Kayak found

    A guy found my boat in a log jam and tried to sell it, instead of report it, needless-to-say, I have my boat. Thanks Josh and others who offered to help me find it after the false Matanuska sighting.

  14. #14

    Default

    Kyle must be excited about getting a new Stomper now.

  15. #15
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    how much was he asking for it? Bud
    Wasilla

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    697

    Default Moose

    Did a couple of runs at 275 and 255,

    At 275 the run is pretty rowdy down the long slide section, the holes are deeper, and a couple of new rapids will get your attention.

    At 255 there were a few more rocks poking out and it was alittle more scrapy, but it is still fun. Not smokin like the 350+cfs we were running this spring, but is comfortable great class III+ creekboating.

    The upper section can be done without getting out of your boat, but there is wood that is tricky to get around.

    This is the nice little log that caused my grief, this is much lower water though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •