Thread: what to expect jet boating

Default what to expect jet boating

ok, have some limited experience in my jet boat 22ft welded aluminum with 350 chev and 3stage hami. looking to moose hunt on the rivers this fall and would like some general suggestions on what rivers i can expect to run in my boat. handles very well with the posi nozzle and loads up like a dream, will plane out around 3200 rpm easily loaded with fishing gear and 4 people. i know a week of hunting can be very heavy, so i'm just curious. what water is deep enough to handle a big jet like mine? i am good at reading water as well, and if not for moose hunting then what rivers off good weekend camping or joy rides? thanks

Big su or yetna you shouldn't have no problems
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Big Inboard Jet boat rivers: Big Su, Yentna, a little bit of Alexander, Talkeetna, Tanana, Yukon and some tributaries, Copper, Chitna, maybe Chena, maybe some of Little Su (mouth), Deshka for a small ways, a bit of 20 mile. Not sure of Gulkanana or Gulkona. Take your pick. Like any hunting close to the road/river. The closer it is to the road/river the less likely you are to see game (not that it is not there). Plan your hunt accordingly by making extra efforts to increase your success. Close to the road/river you have to work much harder on foot to get away from traffic. Further from the road you have to deal with huge logistics to get there but game can be a bit more plentiful or at least less spooked. Some people have good luck bringing in a four wheeler on the boat, not my bag though. Others bring in a smaller boat like a canoe or jet ranger. We are bringing a small boat on our trip this year to access sloughs and lakes off the river. Scout ahead of time if you can. It is easy to make circles and check stuff out when you are not pressured to really hunt anything. The rivers are usually much lower in the fall (last year as a notable exception).

Best of luck.

Daved explained it best. Do your research and understand the water will be lower in the fall usually. The canoe with a small kicker will open up a lot more hunting once out on a river. The Big Su is notably the closest most feasable river to run. Lots of back sloughs and that opens up areas you can't reach with a big boat if you have a canoe. Start scouting now and good luck
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

hey thanks for the advice, i was planning on taking my 9ft zodiak raft with me, just have to figure out how to get a small outboard mounted to it, or get some good oars. i had heard that there are lots of people that run the rivers, but far fewer that get out and off the main channel. i've got no problems running up to a spot that has good access to a promising valley and tehn paddling or hoofing it from there. i would be much happier having to carry a dead moose 2 miles to the river rather than loading the trailer at the end qwith no moose. thanks again

Like a couple have said, a big factor will be the water level change late in the season. Rivers like the Big Su (glacier fed) can change multilpe feet over night if it gets cold fast. They have had to airlift people and boats out in the past when it dropped down to the single digits overnight near the end of the season and water levels dropped 3+ feet all at once.

That boat should do some seriously shallow water kinda hard to get unstuck put uhmw on it if you can afford it no less than 1/2" thick youl be able to go anywere just learn the rivers

ooooh uhmw, got some for my trailer to replace the rotten bunks in the back, but who does the treatment around anc? don't think I would go for the full bottom but I would def like to do 12'' down the middle and a couple big pads in the back for it to slide on.

That is still a really big heavy boat even if you know the rivers. Uhmw will help for rock impact but I doubt you are gonna be wanting to slid that 22 foot v8 across gravel bars although it might help you slide just far enough if it happens