Thread: AMMO Shortage "OVER" in (2) Two YEARS.......maybe

Default AMMO Shortage "OVER" in (2) Two YEARS.......maybe

Good article and thanks for posting it.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Good article AGL4now!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The local butcher shop ran clear out of 22 long rifle shells. Mark stoped at Bass Pro, Scheels and Outdoor Wharehouse and came up empty. SInce the first step in the process starts with a pop-thud from a 22 and he employs 8 real nice folk I decided to help him out. I sold him a brick of Winchester 22 Wildcats for the same 18 bucks that I got them for 2 years ago. You can imagine how popular I became when that got out. It wasn't suppose to get out but it did. I refused everybody else even the Mayor.

At the rate my grandsons shoot em up I may have to buy a few pricey ones if this thing lasts two more years!

With the current economics of the world, the increase of the US domestic population (which will include immigration, SOON), exports to Mexico, the reduced allowable ammo imports into the US, and the consumpttion of semi-precious metals in Empire Building worldwide I wouldn't make any bets that in 2 years the problem will be much better. While gun sales maybe leveling out and some desired firearm models are returning to the shelves the only ammo still readily available is hunting ammo and it isn't hunting season, YET; When hunting season arrives the current supplies of ammo will dissappear again and the cycle starts over. Many firearms are sitting on the shelves because customers don't want to buy a gun and not be able to go out and enjoy it also reflects the firearms bans going into effect in some states, those firearms are being transferred to other states that do allow deffensive firearm sales and large capacity magazines.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

It is a good article with an effective solution, but I don't have confidence in that solution because it requires human beings to self-regulate our behavior...and we just don't seem to do that very well (at all).

Unfortunately, external restrictions get placed on us to regulate our behavior. For example, I saw the LONG line at Sportman's last weekend as people lined-up to buy ammo in an orderly manner, which was imposed on the ammunition customers by the store that day. I guess a shipment had just arrrived and the store was not going to put it on the shelves but instead they sold it to one customer at a time to ensure some kind of rationing. However, I am guessing at that because I was there to buy a third Thermacell (the mosquito crop this year is massive in ANC). Therefore, I wasn't there to buy ammo...I don't need to do that. Not everyone who plans ahead is a hoarder or a conspiracy theorist or a panic buyer. Most of my friends who also enjoy the shooting sports saw what happened four years ago, so they slowly and progressively changed their consumer behavior over the course of the last four years (not all at once in a panic), e.g., they bought a keg of a often used powder rather than a pound, two or three boxes of an often used bullet instead of one, etc. It wasn't done all in one shopping trip.

BTW, I bought one of the last Thermacells on the shelf that day, and I have heard from others that there is now a shortage in town right now. I guess we might start seeing Thermacells being scalped on Craig's list or a long line to buy them when the next shipment arrives because people may start hoarding them...and since I now have three with enough refills to last the summer I'm one of the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ......BTW, I bought one of the last Thermacells on the shelf that day, and I have heard from others that there is now a shortage in town right now. I guess we might start seeing Thermacells being scalped on Craig's list or a long line to buy them when the next shipment arrives because people may start hoarding them...and since I now have three with enough refills to last the summer I'm one of the bad guys.
    If you hadn't gone there with your last paragraph, I was going to ask.

The mosquitoes have proven themselves to be as nasty a pest as politicians, scalpers, terrorists, Taliban, Baathists, late-to-the-party-shooters, and school shooters with regard to ammo. Mosquito supplies and services are overwhelmed. I brought my Mosquito Magnets to the shop for maintenance/repair in May and haven't heard a thing back from them.

One wonders how the tire folks seem to keep up in the spring and fall. More predictable snafu, I guess.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the former Soviet Union looking for stale cheese, toilet paper, and blue meat, and deciding whether I need to stand in the Communist Party line, old veteran line, native line, or "other" line for the remote chance of acquiring what the latest commodity shortage can't supply................

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Not much of an article, really. The guy didn't say much, and what he did say was speculation. He even said it was comin from his Crystal Ball.

I would like to hear the TRUTH from someone who runs a gunstore, on how well they're doin. On the one hand they can likely sell everything they can get in. On the other, many folks, myself included, won't even visit if they know they ain't got nuthin to sell.

I suggest, that in a few more months stuff will be more available again, which will stop most of the hoarding, as will the higher prices. Later the prices will go down some so they can sell it all.

Not all of the buying is hoarding. A good bit of it is just stocking up, and only, maybe, a little sooner than they would do otherwise.

People, who have bought so they can resell it, would LOVE for the shortages to last. They want you to believe that they will.

I have no intention of playing their game.

What they don't like is your selling what you can spare at a reasonable price.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    ...I brought my Mosquito Magnets to the shop for maintenance/repair in May and haven't heard a thing back from them.
    Your Mosquito Magnets are fixed, but they are using them for their own homes. They'll be ready to pick up right after first frost.

I brought my Mosquito Magnets to the shop for maintenance/repair in May and haven't heard a thing back from them.
    Who works on them as I've got two that are dead? Wife wants another one. I said why would I buy another one when I already got $600 worth of year old dead ones in the garage...??? Anybody figure out a way to fix them?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Who works on them as I've got two that are dead? Wife wants another one. I said why would I buy another one when I already got $600 worth of year old dead ones in the garage...??? Anybody figure out a way to fix them?
    You can bring them to the Ace Hardware on Muldoon. Go to the service desk in back. There's a guy who picks them up and does a tune up on them. It costs $85 each, which beats buying new ones at several hundred dollars apiece (not to mention that they can't be found right now).

I have two of the Patriot models. Mine are several years old. One wouldn't light last year, and the other stopped lighting this year. The propane is just a very dirty fuel, and it clogs it up. He cleans the burner up and does some other things. You can call him at 529-2891.

You can bring them to the Ace Hardware on Muldoon. Go to the service desk in back. There's a guy who picks them up and does a tune up on them. It costs $85 each, which beats buying new ones at several hundred dollars apiece (not to mention that they can't be found right now).

I have two of the Patriot models. Mine are several years old. One wouldn't light last year, and the other stopped lighting this year. The propane is just a very dirty fuel, and it clogs it up. He cleans the burner up and does some other things. You can call him at 529-2891.
    Thanks Brian. Have you worked on yours yourself at all..? Just wondering if cleaning it if it's clogged is very hard to do?

^^^^^ I've never torn into mine. I thought I was being good using those CO2 cartridges to blow the system out on what I thought was a regular basis, but it's recommended to blow them out with each propane tank change, and I wasn't doing it that regularly. Somebody recommended to use a bike tire pump to blow it out with more force. Sounds tempting, especially with the price of the CO2 cartridges, and it's likely the pump will offer more pressure.

It seems that the main problem with both of mine was the system lighting itself. I'd turn it on, it would run for a while, then it would turn off. It just wasn't lighting.

But years ago, working for a forklift manufacturer, we learned that propane was an extremely dirty fuel. I can imagine that with an intricate system like the mosquito magnet it might clog it up easily.

^^^^^ I've never torn into mine. I thought I was being good using those CO2 cartridges to blow the system out on what I thought was a regular basis, but it's recommended to blow them out with each propane tank change, and I wasn't doing it that regularly. Somebody recommended to use a bike tire pump to blow it out with more force. Sounds tempting, especially with the price of the CO2 cartridges, and it's likely the pump will offer more pressure.

It seems that the main problem with both of mine was the system lighting itself. I'd turn it on, it would run for a while, then it would turn off. It just wasn't lighting.
    I read somewhere that using any higher pressurized air may damage the unit, but I wasn't thinking about a bike pump. And what you explained that yours is doing is the same thing for both of mine.....just won't stay running/lighting.

kind off topic from the mosquito magnets, but does anybody know where to buy citronella plants? I've heard they can do a pretty good job of keeping the bugs at bay, and makes the yard smell a little better.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

^^^^ I used to wear citronella based repellents because it was natural, but if I sweat and it dripped into my eyes, it burned like Hades. I finally went with the net, sleeves, and gloves.

But it would be fun to experiment with citronella planted in the yard. I've never noticed it for sale at the greenhouses. I think I'll ask about it this fall in preparation for next spring...........