Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do if bear claims your kill?

Default What to do if bear claims your kill?

Hello everyone,

I am planning a Caribou hunt in the arctic this fall, and have been reading a little about big bears. What is the correct thing to do if a bear claims your carcass or meat rack, and you can't get it back? Does it happen at all? You'll end up coming out of the field without all the meat salvaged. Do you have to report it? Do you have to report it right away, or can it wait till you get out of the field on schedule (its a float hunt)?

Thank you,
    Sergey.

Oh it happens, how often is anyone's guess. I know what I would do if a bear claimed my kill but I won't post that info here.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Oh it happens, how often is anyone's guess. I know what I would do if a bear claimed my kill but I won't post that info here.
    Three S's.....

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Carry a bear tag, problem solved, for it guarantees bears will stay away.

Are you resident or non-res?

As you state Arctic, I assume GMU 26. Check the regs as each subunit has a registration tag for bear.

To the question at hand, if a bear goes after your meat - shoot it and notch a tag. That is fully legal if you possess a tag. Season starts Aug 25th, get your tag at the applicable game office starting July 2.

As far as it happening in your sleep, keep a clean camp and consider a bear fence.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Get a bear fence and use it. They work and are effective protecting meat and gear. Keep a clean camp and obey all the standard practices when in bear country. As non residents this is the best choice, if you do have a bear issue, photograph everything and record the gps location of the encounter and report it your first chance. I would continue my hunt. I would call the transporter that dropped me so he knows as well.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Get a bear fence and use it. They work and are effective protecting meat and gear. Keep a clean camp and obey all the standard practices when in bear country. As non residents this is the best choice, if you do have a bear issue, photograph everything and record the gps location of the encounter and report it your first chance. I would continue my hunt. I would call the transporter that dropped me so he knows as well.

Can you recommend a bear fence?

Quote Originally Posted by sserebrennikov78 View Post
    Can you recommend a bear fence?
    What GMU and subunit are you headed? If GMU 26....26A and 26C have an open registration hunt for Non-residents. 26B is a draw.

Check out UDAP for bear fences.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I do not have any experience with an electric fence, but if I were to do a wilderness hunt/float like you are going to do I certainly would make it a priority if for nothing else than to protect my raft.

On the bear tag again, you should investigate that option seriously. Having to DLP a bear then harvest the hide and skull only to turn it over to ADFG, all of the paper work and investgation into the incident, and so on, you may regret not having a tag.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What GMU and subunit are you headed? If GMU 26....26A and 26C have an open registration hunt for Non-residents. 26B is a draw.

Check out UDAP for bear fences.
    Thanks for the link. We are going to unit 23. Do these fences work? I remember a salesperson at tractor supply talking me out of buying electric wire to put around my chicken fence, saying that unless coon touches it with its nose, its pretty much useless.

I have personally never used one, due to the areas I hunt. However on a caribou float I would considering the lack of trees and open terrain. You lose the ability to hang food and game meat.

Stid has used them before with successful results. I've yet to see any feedback in a case where someone used a fence an a bear came thru.

I use bear fencing on Morraine Creek where it isn't uncommon to have 20+ Brown Bears a day stroll by camp. The fence works 99% of the time in those circumstances, but when it comes to bears, very few things are 100% garaunteed....

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I use bear fencing on Morraine Creek where it isn't uncommon to have 20+ Brown Bears a day stroll by camp. The fence works 99% of the time in those circumstances, but when it comes to bears, very few things are 100% garaunteed....
    Do you usually place it around meat cache, your tent, or both? Do you have any issues driving those poles in a gravel bar? Do they get knocked down by strong wind?

Regarding a bear permit for GMU23, that area IS a draw permit area. However, Fish & Game can issue a tag IF the permits were undersubscribed. I would call them personally and inquire about the possibility of getting a tag. The dates for holding that tag don't start until September 1st.

Looking online, permits ARE available, however, the bear tag that overlaps the unit section by which you are float hunting MAY require a guide, see the link below. You'll need to research the 3 areas that have undersubscribed tags ( DB763, DB764, DB767)
    Click here..

Do you usually place it around meat cache, your tent, or both? Do you have any issues driving those poles in a gravel bar? Do they get knocked down by strong wind?
    To clarify, these are bear viewing/fishing/rafting trips, and we put the fence around the entire camp. It's never a sure bet, but it is comforting to have when your frying up bacon and sausage for breakfast as the bears meander past.

Haven't had the wind knock down any poles, but the 1% I referred to (bears) have knocked em over, almost always at night, and likely because they didn't see it....None ever stuck around long enough after encountering the wire to ask....

And no, never been a problem driving the poles into any surface.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Everything. Looking above at the pics, they are on a gravel bar.

Regarding a bear permit for GMU23, that area IS a draw permit area. However, Fish & Game can issue a tag IF the permits were undersubscribed. I would call them personally and inquire about the possibility of getting a tag. The dates for holding that tag don't start until September 1st.

Looking online, permits ARE available, however, the bear tag that overlaps the unit section by which you are float hunting MAY require a guide, see the link below. You'll need to research the 3 areas that have undersubscribed tags ( DB763, DB764, DB767)
    Click here..

That is very interesting information. We are non-residents without a guide. Can't hunt brown bears. Will wait till resident.

Everything. Looking above at the pics, they are on a gravel bar.
    What kind of fence is that?

It's one we made ourselves, but the previously linked UDAP fences are just as comparable....

That is very interesting information. We are non-residents without a guide. Can't hunt brown bears. Will wait till resident.
    Are you moving or have you moved to Alaska?

I don't know. UDAP fences seem to be the most common.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast