Thread: Western Mountaineering Ultralite

Default Western Mountaineering Ultralite

I have a question for Western Mountaineering Ultralite bag owners. It's time to upgrade my old synthetic bag and I like the looks of the Ultralite. I would like to use this bag for late spring, summer, and early fall. My question is: Is this too much bag for summer use? Can you vent it enough to get by when it's 40 to 50 degrees? I'm 6' and 185 lbs, how is the fit? I have a good winter bag so this will be mostly a three season bag. I will also probably use it for an overbag for my 7 year old son in the winter time, with his NF Tigger inside this bag, we have done this with my old synthetic and it works well. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Darkhousefisher

Hard question as sleeping temp is such an individual thing. I would suspect that you could find the foot box to hot and less than ideal for venting if that is the case. I like my Versalite pretty well but I'm almost 100 lbs more than you so the way I fit it wouldn't be anywhere near comparable.

If you have questions they are pretty good about answering their Facebook IM.

I love my Ultralite. I have no problem venting it on warmer days or if its really warm I just throw it over me like a quilt and hang an arm or leg out. I have the long model, with a Sea 2 Summit stuff sack it weighs 2.1 lbs. on my scale. Pretty **** good for a 20 degree bag.

Thanks for the input guys. I pulled the trigger and have one coming. I'm looking forward to using it, plus it'll be nice to have a sleeping bag that doesn't take up 1/2 of my pack!

I've been using a Badger for a couple of years. Very nice. WM is IMHO true to their temp rating.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I received my new bag and finally got to try it out on Wednesday. My 7 year old and I hiked into Symphony Lake for an overnighter. When we went to bed the temps were in the (guessing) upper 50's, so i kept it open and used in more as a quilt. About midnight it cooled off and started raining. I closed up the bag, but opened the lower zipper for some ventilation. When we woke up it felt like the temps were in the low 40's, but I remained comfortable by adjusting ventilation. I am very pleased so far. I sure liked packing it compared to my old barrel sized synthetic, especially since I'm the one schlepping all our gear! Thanks for the input guys!