Thread: Lewmar anchor winch question

Default Lewmar anchor winch question

I have a Lewmar anchor winch on my new boat and when I bring the anchor in it gets to the chain and want's to jump and skip. Do any of you have experience with these winches? I put the chain they suggested witch is the 5/16 G4. It's the Pro Series 1000.

I don't know much about them but i think how the splice from rope to chain is made has a lot to do with how it will pull.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Post up a picture of your rope/chain connection. That will give us a better idea of whats going on.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I will try and get a pic tomorrow and post it.

These guys nailed it. I had the Profish 700 and had the same issue. Had to help it transition at the splice.

I fixed that problem by stripping the gears out trying to free the anchor. I just picked up the Profish 1000 and plan to have someone do the splice the right way. That should fix the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Pulling by hand rather than with a winch, but I had the same issue with the line/chain joint coming across my bow roller. My background is hydraulic anchor winches and large bow rollers, so I automatically had spliced a thimble into the end of my anchor line, then used a shackle to join it with the chain. And the #$%!#$ shackle kept hanging in the roller or jumping off.

Granted I'm a slow learner, but it didn't take me long to dump the shackle entirely, instead passing the thimble through the top chain link, then splicing the line over the thimble for a smooth connection. Homer Simpson said it best: Doh!!!!!

Here is a good video on how to do the splice. That's your issue. I have the exact same setup.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=OCvA4...%3DOCvA4m8doVI
    Tony

your splice is too thick. need to reduce the diameter of your splice.

I didn't get a photo today. But I think you guys are right about the splice. When it gets to the splice it jumps out and starts to skip and jump. I even tried to lay the chain in the winch and it still jumps. I got the rope and chain from Lewmar as one unit so I figured it would be right. I just learned how to splice so maybe I will give it a try like the video above.

It also helps to loosen up the splice so it's more flexible too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Alaskanap, with mine, even with a better splice on it sometimes will jump out. I do one of two things but "use caution"... First I'll try using the palm of my hand and just push down on the rope/chain as its coming over your wheel (mixed results) and then the other is I'll grab my chain about 1 1/2' away from your wheel and I'll just assist in pulling the splice over the wheel but obviously you want to make sure to keep your figures/hand away from your wheel.

If your splice is from Lewmar, chances are its as about as good as it'll be, but without a picture, its tuff for us to advise. Just be careful no matter what you do and good luck.
    Tony

What kind of rope is every body using. I found the three strand to be about worthless. Switched to 8 plate and almost all my winch issues were gone.

Tzieli22. I ended up doing what you did the first time I set my anchor. I babied the chain in once it was up to the boat. I will try and get a pic today since I am going out in the boat today and chase some kings. Thanks everyone for the help.

I have the same problem with my Lewmar. I just have some one up in the front bunk and when the splice comes in I have them give a little down pull on the line from inside the anchor locker and the splice comes on through, no problem.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I've noticed the same thing with my lewmar. if I am on the front I just step on the lever that holds the rode in the gypsy line enough to keep it from jumping and it comes right in. If I an in the vberth I just pull on the rode and it pulls it right through.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have the same problem. I use 1/2 inch 8 strand, but the splice is too big to go through the winch easily. I lift the chain through each time. I will try pulling through next time, but I hate to have the winch teeth chewing on the splice.

Extra question on Lewmars: do you guys tie off the rode while running on the water or on anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    Extra question on Lewmars: do you guys tie off the rode while running on the water or on anchor?
    I am using a lanyard and clip to secure it when running so it is tied to the cleat and can't go bye bye. When on Anchor overnight or somewhere with wind/current I tie off to cleat so the strain isn't on the windlass. If I am just dropping for a an hour in a calm spot I don't tie it off as there isn't any real weight against it.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

As others have said part of your problem is your splice. Another issue is chain twist. When your anchor comes up it spins creating a twist or torque in your chain. Place a swivel at connection between your rope and chain AND at connection of chain to anchor and you will not have further issues.
    My Lewmar windlass did exactly same thing as yours until I did the above. No more problems. I had Arctic wire and rope do my splicing. No issues with splice feeding through teeth.
    DMan right on the mark re rode tie off.

I was looking at the swivel but didn't buy one. Maybe I will try that and step on the spring loaded arm next time.