Thread: How to rid bait site of Brown Bears

Default How to rid bait site of Brown Bears

My partner and I have had nothing but brown bears hitting our baits lately. Is there a good remedy for keeping the brown bears out of the bait? I thought about raising my barrel off the ground so the brownies couldn't reach it ... I figure a black bear would climb a tree for it. Any thoughts?

What are you using for bait?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    My partner and I have had nothing but brown bears hitting our baits lately. Is there a good remedy for keeping the brown bears out of the bait? I thought about raising my barrel off the ground so the brownies couldn't reach it ... I figure a black bear would climb a tree for it. Any thoughts?
    I would just keep doin what your doin and take care of the problem next year (guessing your in one of the units that will allow browns to be takin over bait)

The only way I have been able to rid a site of grizz up here is pull the bait for a couue weeks and wait for them to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    The only way I have been able to rid a site of grizz up here is pull the bait for a couue weeks and wait for them to move on.
    I checked my bait this past Sunday (and my trail cam). I did not re-bait it ... I thought I'd let it sit for a week, hoping the brown bears would move on. I've been using pop-corn, marshmallows, old pastry and some dog-food.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best thing you could do is not bait for a week or so. But there in lies the problem as baiting season is over in 11 days.

My partner and I have had nothing but brown bears hitting our baits lately. Is there a good remedy for keeping the brown bears out of the bait?........
    Go one mile away (verify distance with GPS). Set a tree stand at least 20' high. Use an electronic moose calf in distress call, play it as loud as possible. When brown bears arrive, shoot them (boars or unattended sows only). Every three days visit the gutpiles again with friends who can legally shoot brown bears. Harvest until you run out of friends willing to shoot brown bears.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Go one mile away (verify distance with GPS). Set a tree stand at least 20' high. Use an electronic moose calf in distress call, play it as loud as possible. When brown bears arrive, shoot them (boars or unattended sows only). Every three days visit the gutpiles again with friends who can legally shoot brown bears. Harvest until you run out of friends willing to shoot brown bears.
    Roger that! A good case of lead poisoning/thoracic aeration seems like it would be a very effective way to prevent brown bears from visiting the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    I would volunteer to be your friend for the cause.

^^^^^ Bears can smell me miles away, and they flee the territory. Where I am, bears are not, and vice versa.