Thread: Fishing from ORCA ISLAND Cabins (SEWARD)

Default Fishing from ORCA ISLAND Cabins (SEWARD)

I arrive in Anchorage on Aug 2nd I will be staying on Orca Island Cabins on August 7-10th of this year. We leave from Seward and are shuttled out to the Orca Island cabins. This is my 3rd trip to Alaska. I am an Avid fisherman in Florida and will be bringing a spinning reel and rod that I have used to catch reds in the river. Does anyone have some advice as to what type of lures I should use to catch Silvers in this area. I under stand there is a nice run of silvers near Orca island Cabins and Humpy cove this time of the year. There is a nice dock on the island and also kayaks available to use. I fish kayaks all the time in Florida and am quite experienced. I would be happy to share expenses if anyone has room on their boat for me to fish. I fished many offshore boats here in Florida and am a licensed Capt in Florida. I dont charter but wanted the license for my own personal knowledge for my fishing trips in Fl. I will be also be in Homer for the second week of my trip August 11-15th. I have fished for halibut on charters before out of seward and Homer. I have fished all over Florida for the last 40 years so if you plan a trip to Florida I will be happy to share my knowledge of fishing in Florida. I live in the Tampa Bay area on the west coast of Florida.
    Thanks,

Jim

Jim,
    There are a couple full time kayak fishermen on here, I believe on of them is kardinal_84 do a quick search & you will find him.
    The easiest way to catch silvers that time of the year will be to use a 3oz orange banana weight & a 3-4' leader with a hoochie skirt. You can troll this or mooch & should do fine. To spice up your hoochie a little get the troll herring & cut small pieces by filleting it & then cut it in diagonal pcs like the picture, you can get two to three pcs per side of herring. ( from KK on another forum)
    If you want more options buzz bombs work really well that time of year as well as other various metal jigs (crippled hearing, small darts, etc..) these should net you some rockfish as well. Also you can try brads cut plugs, berkley guld poggy, & the list goes on.
    Good luck & have fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The heavier krocodile spoons in blue/chrome and silver can be outstanding from a spinning rod, buzz bombs as well. The're nice because you can use them as a spoon or as a jig. From a Kayak you can cast and retrieve them, jig 30-40' down, and jig on the bottom. You might be suprised at what you catch.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

thanks guys for your advice. I will purchase some of the lures and rigs that you have suggested for catching silvers. Cant wait to arrive in Alaska.