Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sheephunting help

Default sheephunting help

So I have been thinking about this so I thought I would post it up.. So heres the deal I have a bad knee and a sheep tag..bad combo..lol Well as soon as I drew my tag I made a call for a packer/helper and found one. Thought I would offer here for a second helper to come along.. Looking to give a newbie or not so newbie a chance to come along on what potentially could be a great hunt.. What I want is somewone who is eager to learn and willing to work for the end goal..
    What to expect: HELL..lol expect to be in pain every day,expect heavy packs,expect to be hungary,expect to be cold and wet,expect to cry(yes I have seen hunters cry),expect to want to quit but know you cant..
    So whats in it for you: a chance to learn sheep hunting, an adventure, a slim chance at a blackie on the way out..

About me: semi retired guide(thats what we call it when we dont know enough is enough.) who worked many years for one of the premier sheephunting/brown bear outfitters in the state as wells as several other outfits from the interior to kodiak to the peninsula.. so I have a little experience to share and I am accustomed to hunting with strangers..

The hunt will happen regardless and to me quitting is not an option.. Mental toughness is more important then physical(of course physical is important) but a blend of both is a good thing. I pace my self to be steady not fast so the trip in wont be too bad...well except for the brush...lol BTW its a walk in.. This is not a camping trip so dont expect to be chillin at the tent.. Only personal gear is required(a pack would be great to have) and of course we will have to meet up well in advance to see if personalities click. I put a lot of thought into this as I think its important to give back sometimes and yes its cheap labor too..lol I only ask that you dont waste my time and put some thought into it first.. This will be a hunt till you harvest type of hunt. I am going in around the 7th of Aug and coming out around the 25th.. I know this is a long time so if you can only do a week it still may work out.. NO details will be given to where we are going or how we are getting in...
    Let me know what you all think..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    What to expect: HELL..lol expect to be in pain every day,expect heavy packs,expect to be hungary,expect to be cold and wet,expect to cry(yes I have seen hunters cry),expect to want to quit but know you cant..
    So whats in it for you: a chance to learn sheep hunting, an adventure, a slim chance at a blackie on the way out..
    Sounds like your typical walk in the park............................lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wish I could go, that will be a great opportunity for a lucky hunter. I'm to the need help stage myself too.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm in the want help stage myself. Especially for my Caribou and Elk tag!
    Good Luck Bear. I'm pointing in a different direction this fall.

Wish I wouldn't be stuck in Virginia during that time or I would be there.

NO details will be given to where we are going or how we are getting in...
    Let me know what you all think..[/QUOTE]

So your going to blindfold the "lucky hunter"/pack mule?

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    NO details will be given to where we are going or how we are getting in...
    So your going to blindfold the "lucky hunter"/pack mule?[/QUOTE]

If I find someone here of course I will then tell them where we are going but not before. I work hard for my info and will be doing a ton of scouting so yes I am not willing to share that info up front.. And easy on the pack mule thing I could do this hunt with or without help just though it would be cool to have someone else tag along so its just not about having a pack mule...

Barber I know you would...
    Bighorse the best of luck to ya this season...
    Steve any time any any place..

Bear
    All I can say is good luck and wish I qualified as resident so I could join you on this quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    Bear
    All I can say is good luck and wish I qualified as resident so I could join you on this quest.
    Don't need to be a resident or even have a license to pack sheep meat for a buddy.

I am going in around the 7th of Aug and coming out around the 25th.. I know this is a long time so if you can only do a week it still may work out..
    Dave....I'm curious if you will be hauling 18 days worth of grub in on your back/s, or are you going to have some dropped in for you?

Dave best answer is it kind of depends on my scouting trips.. Most likely I will carry it all and make a couple caches along the way.. Ramen and freezdried dont weigh too much and if I whack a sheep way back in all the food will get dumped for the trip out..

Makes sense.... I know Ramen is a good way to go, it's "ok" and I'll eat it, but I'm not a big fan. I think I'd rather just eat gorp and jerky even though I know it weighs more....and I'm pretty much a stickler for weight. But 18 days is a long time...!!!........lol.

Good luck bro, I'd love to go...it would be a great pre-up to the goat hunt. But I know I could't get that extra time off.

Maybe next time.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Makes sense.... I know Ramen is a good way to go, it's "ok" and I'll eat it, but I'm not a big fan. I think I'd rather just eat gorp and jerky even though I know it weighs more....and I'm pretty much a stickler for weight. But 18 days is a long time...!!!........lol.

Good luck bro, I'd love to go...it would be a great pre-up to the goat hunt. But I know I could't get that extra time off.

Maybe next time.....
    funny how the taste of things change from town to the bush... I take those coffee dipping bags with me and out in the field they are awesome.. then one day at home I ran out of coffee and tried them and couldnt believe ho much like arse they tasted

My boss gave me a hard time too but in the end sheep hunting won out...oh and I am my own boss so it wasnt too hard to convince him..lol

Ha.....that's funny, as I used to do the coffee bags as well, and they were a godsend when hunting the alpine. Now I don't even drink coffee........lol

Bear/Dave, best of luck with your plans. Some lucky guy or two will get the experience of a lifetime going along on this hunt. I spent 60 some days in a camp back in the early '70s in exchange for a guided sheep hunt and never regretted it.

So I have been thinking about this so I thought I would post it up.. So heres the deal I have a bad knee and a sheep tag..bad combo..lol Well as soon as I drew my tag I made a call for a packer/helper and found one. Thought I would offer here for a second helper to come along.. Looking to give a newbie or not so newbie a chance to come along on what potentially could be a great hunt.. What I want is somewone who is eager to learn and willing to work for the end goal..

About me: semi retired guide(thats what we call it when we dont know enough is enough.) who worked many years for one of the premier sheephunting/brown bear outfitters in the state as wells as several other outfits from the interior to kodiak to the peninsula.. so I have a little experience to share and I am accustomed to hunting with strangers..

The hunt will happen regardless and to me quitting is not an option.. Mental toughness is more important then physical(of course physical is important) but a blend of both is a good thing. I pace my self to be steady not fast so the trip in wont be too bad...well except for the brush...lol BTW its a walk in.. This is not a camping trip so dont expect to be chillin at the tent.. Only personal gear is required(a pack would be great to have) and of course we will have to meet up well in advance to see if personalities click. I put a lot of thought into this as I think its important to give back sometimes and yes its cheap labor too..lol I only ask that you dont waste my time and put some thought into it first.. This will be a hunt till you harvest type of hunt. I am going in around the 7th of Aug and coming out around the 25th.. I know this is a long time so if you can only do a week it still may work out.. NO details will be given to where we are going or how we are getting in...
    Would be awesome to help you out, but figure every year is treasured and I only have four days to make sheep magic happen for myself. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Would be awesome to help you out, but figure every year is treasured and I only have four days to make sheep magic happen for myself. Best of luck!
    best of luck to you also northway.. I am putting a lot into this hunt cause you said it right..every year is treasured and I have made many a trip into those mountains chasin sheep but this will be the first for me in over 17 years to be the one pulling the trigger(well hopefully )

Roland it must of been something back then, I know lots of stories from back then and sure wish I could of been there,,

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Bear/Dave, best of luck with your plans. Some lucky guy or two will get the experience of a lifetime going along on this hunt. I spent 60 some days in a camp back in the early '70s in exchange for a guided sheep hunt and never regretted it.
    For two seasons a friend of mine wrangled horses for a guide up in the interior in exchange for two hunts.....sheep and grizz. He got both and was extremely happy.....

Bear - please check PM's.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Pms all returned and thanks guys. I know the time is a bit of a commitment and may even have to come out for a day half way in(if not successful). But that all still up in the air. Haven't picked anyone yet but want to be fair and start with those who first pmd me. But in the end I want to take the one, who will besides helping me out, gets something out of this trip besides a weight loss session On a good note I felt pretty **** good for the first time in months after a bit of a hike. Gonna head up into the mountains this weekend if I can swing a day. Feel free to pm me if you want to go check out some mountains..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast