Thread: Kenai Closes, Why not the Kasilof as well?

Default Kenai Closes, Why not the Kasilof as well?

ADF&G announced that the Kenai closes to king fishing from 6/20-6/30. Does anybody know why the Kasilof is the only stream on the Peninsula that is allowing king salmon fishing (and retention)?

someone has a guide buddy on the Kasilof and is getting some kickbacks. There is no telling why Fish and Game does what they do anymore. But with the poor King returns the past few years it needs to be closed for 3-5 years to EVERYONE and fine the crap out of the people who get tons of kings as "bycatch" that end up dieing and see where the runs are then before we know it there will be no kings to catch

What are the size restrictions on retention??
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Should be restricted to C&R at the very least.

Wait for it..... (queue drumroll for Marcus)
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

You think the Kenai should be restricted to C&R?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

sub nets are fishing. If they close sport they have to shut off sub fishing!
    Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    ADF&G announced that the Kenai closes to king fishing from 6/20-6/30. Does anybody know why the Kasilof is the only stream on the Peninsula that is allowing king salmon fishing (and retention)?

Should be closed. Period.

I'm a C&R advocate Doc, but pontificating for any type of fishing that causes undue stress and mortality on Kings in Alaska, given the current state of the fishery, is completely selfish.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Should be closed. Period.

I'm a C&R advocate Doc, but pontificating for any type of fishing that causes undue stress and mortality on Kings in Alaska, given the current state of the fishery, is completely selfish.
    Bingo. Can't say I've seen anyone talk more on mortality rates than Doc. So to say at the very least C&R should be open isn't sensible.

Close it all down.

But, then what do you do about the continued existence of thousands of sockeye fishermen?? Catch 22.

Closure works just fine for me, too.

Gonna be a zoo with retention. C&R would take participation right down the tubes. Closure takes it to ZERO.

Not sure that the ADFG objective is ZERO as much as it is to sufficiently reduce the exploitation rate to offset the increased participation of king salmon anglers displaced from virtually every other road-accessible stream in Cook Inlet.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

The story on KTUU says the Kasilof is closed as well... Might want to go read the EO's. I am on my phone or I would be looking instead of referencing ktuu.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The Kasilof seems like a sacrificial river for the ADFG to pacify the guides. They should close it to kings for now, but leave an option for 2nd run. Also leave it wide open for reds. I'm not sure about the "subsistence" nets on the beach, but that fishery seems like an anachronism, since dip netting is more equal opportunity and nobody can claim a site to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What are the size restrictions on retention??

No size restrictions on the Kasilof. They will close it to bait on the Kasilof. You still can only keep hatchery fish......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I sent this to the Commissioner today. The in-river fisheries just cannot start with no bait on July 1 if the PU and Commercial Fisheries are closed. There would be no savings in early run chinook in that case.

Dear Commissioner,

Well 2013 is off and running in UCI and as usual nothing is pretty or easy. I just want to comment on a few ideas for your consideration.

1. Closing in-river sport fisheries and personal use fisheries. Today the E.O announcement closed these fisheries and I understand the reason for doing so. At some point below the MSY goal , if the counts are correct, every fish does matter. Therefore, I do not have any issues with this action per se. I do question the counting and netting programs but even with 100% error at this point action needed to be taken.

2. The next issue is for ADF&G not to become one move chess players. The fish saved by closing in the Kasilof will probably not enter the Kenai river until a week from now - give or take a day or two. Thus two up-coming fisheries need to be considered in future actions - the commercial fishery and the in-river sport fishery.

If the early run is one week late or in that order there is no reason to fish the first commercial period as a small percentage (probably less than 5% of the chinook on the beach will be early run) will be early run and you have now said every fish is critical. Fishing the commercial fisheries on the first period (again only if the run is late) would negate the savings of the recent closure. However, after the first period the commercial fishery would be out of early run management. Any loss in sockeye harvest can be made up with periods in July with extra time. Thus a savings in chinook no loss in sockeye.

The in-river fishery needs to remain closed (the whole river) for at least the first week of July if not longer. The fish you are saving right now in the PU closure or Commercial closure will still be in the lower river and subjected to harvest with a no bait fishery. Therefore, if this action is not taken then you have just reallocated fish from the PU and Commercial Fishery to the In-river sport fishery when you have declared that every fish counts. That would be a big mistake from a political and biological view.

So the next issue is how to explain to the public that the commercial fishery in July is being managed on late run sockeye and chinook salmon and the in-river fishery below Slikok Creek is being managed for early run chinook for the first week. That requires some good PR and staff explanation on run timing. The genetic report on chinook provides a good starting point. So far I can see some staff trying to use the early run to predict the late run but we know how that worked out last year. Best to start the commercial fishery after the first period and see what happens catch wise.

This is going to be a tough year with the indications Kasilof is back to a normal entry pattern and strong and Kenai forecasted to be strong. I would start the staff discussions right now on how to manage on abundance on the beach. I would also be talking to the commercial fisherman (Fair Fishing 907 and KPFA after their elections on June 28th) about how you see the trade-off of sockeye vs chinook goals

I have found in UCI that open and transparent discussions work best. Also, it is important with this year looking like a tough management year to have the senior staff present from 10 July to 28 July. People want to talk with decision makers and unfortnately in UCI the decisions are really being made outside the local area office. So it is time to bring those decision makers to UCI for thos critical 18 days.

I wish you good luck and I think we all hope a better outcome than last year happens. As always I am available for a phone call to discuss this further.

Smile Best regards . . .

Not this time, Doc.

My best wishes to you for a nice summer and tight lines,

John