Thread: The Boat Hull

Default The Boat Hull

Landed out at the boat hull at Point Mackenzie today and was wondering if anyone knew the history of the boat hull? Did a quick google search, and found nothing.

CS

Quote Originally Posted by rkymtnhigh View Post
    Landed out at the boat hull at Point Mackenzie today and was wondering if anyone knew the history of the boat hull? Did a quick google search, and found nothing.

CS
    The story I've been told is that it was beached there many, many years ago to function as a dock. A road was going to be built to connect it to the railroad or other means to get freight to Fairbanks. Supposedly never used, but all of this may be in error.

I was told something similar. It is basically a barge at 61.14'28.15 N 150.00'08.86 W. And there is a road to that location. It was used to land heavy equipment (like a ramp) for all of the older original trails and roads over on that side.
    It looked old 35 years ago...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I was told something similar. It is basically a barge at 61.14'28.15 N 150.00'08.86 W. And there is a road to that location. It was used to land heavy equipment (like a ramp) for all of the older original trails and roads over on that side.
    It looked old 35 years ago...
    Yes, it did appear old 35-years ago. But I don't recall any roads or trails over there at that time . . . . .

As a life long Alaskan, I consider a cat-trail or seismograph-cut through the trees as a trail or road.
    There were a few over there back in the late 1970s.

I don't recall any trails leading to the boat. There are some leading to a couple of cabins in the area as well as the substation. A few years ago when the DC-3 crashed on the bluff right above the boat the recovery guys made access to the site. I don't recall that sticking out now, either, but Pt MacKenzie has been logged and excavated quite a bit in the past decade. It looks different now. I'll look when I fly over it later. These days with the prison and the new port that part of Pt Mac is pretty uptown compared to when we used to 4-wheel out there 40 years ago looking for spruce chickens. The Burma Road was an adventure back then. Boy, things have sure changed.

Still pretty cool to walk around over there. I'm amazed that it's held up as well as it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    As a life long Alaskan, I consider a cat-trail or seismograph-cut through the trees as a trail or road.
    There were a few over there back in the late 1970s.
    Oops . . . . . sorry FP. I was going back to the early fifties.

Yes it is hard to believe that the late 70s was really 35 years ago...

And the early 1950s, ...... 60 years ago.....

Back when Fire island had barracks, a Cub runway, a ski hill and an Air Force radar station.

When did they put in the Beluga power lines ? They come down to the waters edge about a mile west of the old barge hull. ( I think....... I have not flown over that area since last summer) There is an over grown trail that goes from the barge along the shore over towards the transformer station. There is also a cut through the trees that pretty much goes north from the barge hull.

I wonder if google earth has any clear photos of the area...? My new computer is so slow that it takes 10 minutes to load up one of those images.

FP,

The current Google Earth picture is from spring and shows the trails/roads perfectly. There are more than I remembered and I fly over it all the time. My wife's right, I don't pay attention very well!

Google Earth screen shot:

Default That's Dick's boat (& I still can't make a paragraph)

I have worked out there a couple of times, both at the CEA terminal station and bringing submarine power cables ashore. Ol Dick Ring (still kicking the last I heard) owned the land there. I think it is his homestead. We had permission to land cargo there on the high tide. That's how all of his stuff got over there. Neat old guy. CEA let a contract to clear a right of way and the surveyor flagged the wrong side of the ROW. CEA paid $10,000 a tree and set Dick up for life. You can see the missed ROW along the powerline corridor. Be real careful trying to drive out there. Good dry year like this makes it possible.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it