Thread: seward or whittier for visting family??

Default seward or whittier for visting family??

So I have a dilemma, my family is here visiting and they are wanting me to take them out of Whittier to catch halibut. I have yet to have any success out of Whittier (mainly because of my boat range) so I was trying to convince them to go out of Seward where I at least know that I can get them on some chickens if need be. My boat is a trophy 2359 with an 87 gallon tank, does anybody know if there are places close enough in Whittier worth trying for butts. Not asking for peoples spots, just if its worth taking them out of Whittier or if I should just tell them that we are going to go to Seward.

Just take them to Whittier when the tunnel is going the other way and tell them it must be closed then drive to Seward.. crisis averted!

I was fishing for halibut last weekend out of Whittier and my boat in a day trip realistically can't go much farther then Cochran. Anyway we farted around all day with bait at 300 feet and 150 feet. Bites were zero for hours, not even cod, not even Irish lord. Then bam one of the inexperienced fishing people on board had a biggie on the line. Problem was they quietly struggled with this for some minutes with nothing mentioned to more experienced fisherman. So we were needing to motor to deeper water we were too close to the rocks. I told everyone pull up the lines, which means two people did and I had to do the rest while the others continued sleeping or whatever was going on in the hot sun. I'm all done pulling in two lines, but one woman is still working on hers! I said get it up I'm starting the motor now! Then she said "I think I have a fish" in an uncertain tone. I looked at her rod action and it's surging and dipping while we are at a quiet float in flat water. What the heck! She'd been wrestling quite a while with that obviously powerful fish! But it was too big for her so she was holding the rod all wrong against the rails and the line running under the boat. If she had only said something I could have situated her for fish reeling I thought she was pulling in an empty lines like everyone else. but instead sure enough it was wrapped around the rudder too! I didn't dare start the motor with all that line near the prop either. Nice. I grabbed her line with a boat hook, handlined it around the fish banger, handed it to her as a handline and said start wrapping it in! Then untangled the line from the rudder, cranked the motor and got us away from the rocks gently. Big miracle we are 100 feet out and still her fish is attached. But lots of slow reeling and slack line and fooling around. I wasn't going to just take it and get it landed it's her prize. But sure enough before long the line was slack. It didn't come unhooked it pulled a leader out of a factory stamped metal clip type attachment so the hook simply came free. Now forever we just KNOW we lost a huge halibut near Cochran. It doesn't matter if it was really a skate, shark, ling cod, mutant Irish Lord or an octopus or perhaps a giant squid it was really a huge halibut. So if you go to Whittier bring lots of bait and soak it 4 or 6 hours and it's waiting for you!

If you like them take them to Seward, if you love them take them to Homer

Seward in a heartbeat..scenery is great, accommodations and touristy things are better laid out. Your boat is fine for all areas around there. Hit west side of Fox island, amber cove etc..there are many places out there to catch halibut..if the water is nice..you could even run out toward pigot bay, and hammer them..but have a backup plan as it can get crazy out there with south winds quick. Homer would be a great spot as well if you are just fishing and sightseeing..many of the bays mouths have very good halibut fishing. Good luck...been in your shoes more than I care to count...lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    If you like them take them to Seward, if you love them take them to Homer
    I would agree with this, but depending on the weather forecast. PWS has the shelter, but you pay for it with catch rates.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

If they want fish to take home go for the surer bet seward or homer !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Yeah, I think that I almost have them convinced to go to Seward, if not ill be sure to post a report of the Whittier action. I like going to homer its just a really long drive. Either way thanks for all the replies

Joebut, Sure there are fish in Whittier, but for decent catching, its a bit of a run. The south end of Lone is good and the East side of Smith is better. Other than that, it's a run south for good fish. Good luck. I'm heading to Seward this weekend.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

What is your cruising speed and how much fuel can you haul ?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

You are going to have a long haul to get to pigot from Whittier (unless there is another pigot I don't know of - - - then I better find that spot and hammer them)!

Seward, hands down if they want to catch halibut.

I just went out of Whittier yesterday taking a friend who was in town for business and had the day free and my two boys. We covered over 125 nautical miles, which made for a long day lauching around 8am and barely making the 8pm tunnel. It was a tough day of fishing because of the timing of the tides and the wind out of the east. I generally prefer driting to cover more territory but with the wind we really needed to anchor to fish effectively and the timing of tides was less than perfect to effectively use a chum bag on the anchor. The spot I really wanted to fish for halibut was fully exposed to the winds coming from the NE so we elected to fish some protected passages. At the end of the day the cooler had a 25# halibut, three nice yellow eye, a cod, a bit less than a gallon of shrimp tails and an octopus. The guy I took out had a great time as he landed the halibut, a yellow eye, the cod and he got a nice lingcod which we threw back. The weather and views were incredible, I would of preferred a more energetic bite from the fish.

But my conclusion still holds, if the goal is to fill a cooler full of fish, Whittier is not the port to launch from for a day trip.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    Yeah, I think that I almost have them convinced to go to Seward, if not ill be sure to post a report of the Whittier action. I like going to homer its just a really long drive. Either way thanks for all the replies
    It's a simple issue. You ask them "Do you want to go to Whittier, or do you want to catch halibut?". If the answer is they want to see Whittier, you go to Whittier, if they want to catch halibut, you go where the halibut are.

I got a 65 pounder on Sunday in Culross.

I have never had much luck fishing for halibut in Seward. I would recommend Whittier. Plus if you can't find any halibut, you can always go for rockfish there.

If your limited in range then not Whittier. Whittier has butts in close but you need to know the spots, if you don't, you have to make a run out. Seward is also kind of the same within the bay but you can run to cap res or pony cove area and you'll be in range with your boat and should be able to catch them, plus rockfish and shortly, you'll be into silvers. I am partial to Seward, but then again I keep my ocean rig there too... It just works for me.

Good luck.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    But my conclusion still holds, if the goal is to fill a cooler full of fish, Whittier is not the port to launch from for a day trip.
    Unless you want Reds. They ought to be showing in Ester Passage about now.