Thread: Licence requirements for saltwater boat

Default Licence requirements for saltwater boat

Do I need any particular licence to operate a saltwater vessel in or around the coastal waters in SE Alaska? I only intend to fish on a private basis ( non-client based ) for my own personnel use. Thanks from Ireland

No you don't, as long as you are not a guide you are free to operate your boat. I would recommend you read the coastguard rules of the road and maybe even take a seamanship class. Lots of stuff to know, but 2/3's of the people on the water don't know any of the rules anyway.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks jr2. I thought that anyway. Im a vastly experienced fisherman anyway. Where can I get the coastguard rules of the road. From the uscg ? And even better , where is there such a seamans course. thanks from ireland

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/postcard031313.pdf
    That is a link to boating safety requirements in Alaska such as flares, pfds, throwable flotation, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    No you don't, as long as you are not a guide you are free to operate your boat. I would recommend you read the coastguard rules of the road and maybe even take a seamanship class. Lots of stuff to know, but 2/3's of the people on the water don't know any of the rules anyway.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    Only 2/3's don't know the rules?

I'd highly recomend taking a Coast Guard Auxiliary seamanship class. Also if you can hook up with experienced boater to take you out a few times it'll be well worth it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks paul h. ill look into it right now.