Thread: Silvers in August, Prince of Wales

Default Silvers in August, Prince of Wales

I'm going to be on a sailboat cruising around the northern end of Prince of Wales Is. the last week of August. I'm hoping silvers will be starting up the rivers/creeks this time of year. What do you all think - too early, or will there likely be fish? Would appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Anybody have a thought?

I haven't been to the north end of POW in August but they usually are in the creeks by then over here in Ketchikan.

Whale pass / Neck lake should be in full swing by that time. Salmon Bay Lake and Creek should have a few fish around, as well as Red Bay Lake. On the other side, Sarkar lakes / creek should have some fish around as well.

Specifically which water bodies will you be travelling? In general, yes, August/September is great for freshwater silvers at most streams. I would say that Neck may be the only system slowing down by then, as they are getting busy now.

Thanks for the input all, much appreciated. Smpow, I'm thinking I may end up spending most of the time at Salmon Bay, but Red Bay and others would certainly be options. I am open to suggestions. Do you have experience with any of the streams up there specifically, or other recommendations? I'd love your thoughts. I am hoping to potentially combine fishing activities with some deer hunting, too (I know it's early for low-elevation deer but I figure worth a try). Thanks!

108 creek is a short stream a few miles N of Neck in Whale Pass that has a silver run. I have not fished Salmon Bay Lake/stream system, but know that it would be productive that time of year. Red is also a rather short system that will get road pressure that time of year. You are much less likely to see other folks at Salmon Bay. Good luck.

Awesome. Thanks smpow. I'm very excited about the trip. Have you seen many deer around that time of year?

I have fished both salmon bay and red bay (the creeks and lake outlets) just a little later than that ; and they both had silvers. I'm not sure about the logistics of getting near to the creeks with a sailboat given the tidal currents/depths, wind, obstructions, and passages, but if you are able to do it you should find some fish. I did see just a few deer at both places. People catch silvers in the salt in the area outside whale pass/neck lake; which is enhanced by hatcheries. Plenty of videos on you-tube of this.