Thread: Sons first bear

Default Sons first bear

Took my boy out to the stand saturday evening and was able to put him on his first bear. He's 10 yrs old and has been practicing his shooting all winter and spring. We were in the stand for about an hr and a half when this guy walked in, my boy was shaking so hard that he wasnt able to hold steady enough for a shot. The bear gave a few opportunities, but buck fever really had a hold of him. The bear finally got suspicious and walked away off into the brush. My poor boy was pretty devastated and shook up about missing his chance, I told him "be ready sometimes they come back" Luckily about 15 minuites later there he was working his way back in. This time the boy was ready, the bear slowly worked his way to the bait and presented a perfect neck shot. I told my son if you can do it, a neck shot is best so as to not damage any meat and at 30 yrds it was a safe bet. He whispered "I got him Dad, and let loose with the 308 and the bear dropped like a sack of potatoes. He drilled it right at the base of the neck. Needless to say it was a pretty exciting moment and an evening with my son I will never forget. I didnt realize while taking the pics that I had him hold my 45/70 he actually shot the bear with a winchester 308.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations to the young man, well done.

Well done, congrats for staying in there and getting it done. Nice bear indeed!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very nice! Hope to post this weekend with my boy.

Very nice tell your boy congrats
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I didnt realize while taking the pics that I had him hold my 45/70 he actually shot the bear with a winchester 308.
    Was somebody else feelin' a little bit of that buck fever...???......lol. Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That's awesome. Congrats to you and your son ... a plus being on Father's day weekend.

Very nice!

You could not get a better Father's Day Gift than spending time with your kids, and watching him do something like that. And what 4merGuide said too, bet there was a lot of excitement in that stand that night. Thanks for sharing, and good luck to the both of you for years to come. ARR

Good job Dad! I am sure that is an experience you and your son will relive in your heads for years to come.

Congrats Dad..I know that was a very special day. Don't get much better than that. Great Job!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Way to go! Can't wait till my little daddy's girl can get out with me.

Ha - that's a great story and a dandy black bear!! Good job fellas, I'll bet your already planning your next hunt

I know this forum has photo gallery but I think there should be a kid photo gallery for all these next generation hunters to showcase thier trophies. Congrats on a great bear...